banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this what a Super Distortion sounds like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: is this what a Super Distortion sounds like?

Originally posted by DeanSweden View Post
    are you really that stupid?
    did you by any chance miss what I quoted? I'll do it again, just for you...

so, Tribute is a livealbum, or are you gonna argue about that too?
    since I'm a Randy Rhoads fan, I posted which guitar he used ON STAGE(that's live, in front of an audience, but I guess you're not familiar with that?)
    during his time with Ozzy.

Hey scoobie ill clue you in on something unless someone TOLD you which songs are SuperD's instead of T-Tops you cant tell which is why its a worthless comparison. Tell me which tracks on Blizzard of ozz are the Les Paul and which are the V? YOU CANT thats why bringing it up and arguing about it is worthless. Get it? All this trivia about who used what when doesnt help pick out a pickup if the mix makes it so that you cant tell which song was a Les Paul with a Ttop or a V with a SuperD how does this do anyone any good trying to find a pickup.

Not to mention you drudged up a 6 month old post to add your little of spew it wasnt like it was an active thread it was you going through old threads looking for somewhere to argue a point that doesnt matter.
    Last edited by Edgecrusher; 12-08-2012, 12:46 AM.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by twisted reversal View Post

wasn't Mustaine and Poland using Super D's their BC Rich axes during this period?
      I think those were Bill Lawrence humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
        Hey scoobie ill clue you in on something unless someone TOLD you which songs are SuperD's instead of T-Tops you cant tell which is why its a worthless comparison. Tell me which tracks on Blizzard of ozz are the Les Paul and which are the V? YOU CANT thats why bringing it up and arguing about it is worthless. Get it? All this trivia about who used what when doesnt help pick out a pickup if the mix makes it so that you cant tell which song was a Les Paul with a Ttop or a V with a SuperD how does this do anyone any good trying to find a pickup.
        I can't say, nor do I know, which guitar was used for which song on BOO,
        nor did I claim to. I did however post what guitars was used on the TRIBUTE album,
        since that was what the quoted poster was asking about. Please tell me how that was starting
        an argument?

Not to mention you drudged up a 6 month old post to add your little of spew it wasnt like it was an active thread it was you going through old threads looking for somewhere to argue a point that doesnt matter.
        Ok, so that's where it hurts you throw a TOTALLY POINTLESS tantrum over me digging up
        an "old" thread. Should I feel offended? Well, I don't. I do however feel sorry for you for even
        taking the time to throw a hissy-fit like that, but hey, if you ain't got something better to do...

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweden View Post
          I can't say, nor do I know, which guitar was used for which song on BOO,
          nor did I claim to. I did however post what guitars was used on the TRIBUTE album,
          since that was what the quoted poster was asking about. Please tell me how that was starting
          an argument?

Ok, so that's where it hurts you throw a TOTALLY POINTLESS tantrum over me digging up
          an "old" thread. Should I feel offended? Well, I don't. I do however feel sorry for you for even
          taking the time to throw a hissy-fit like that, but hey, if you ain't got something better to do...

The point is the same unless someone tells you which guitar is which on the Tribute album you cant tell them apart you seem to be missing that. For a fanboy its interesting info for help deciding what a Super D sounds like its not a useful example.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I have only recently become acquainted with Super Ds, because they came stock in my Dean ML. I like them a lot, but they are quite different than any other pickup I use (mostly "vintage" output pickups). The tone itself is pretty versatile. You can change the e.q. a lot with pickup setup and amp settings. However, it's the attack and dynamics that are very different than what I'm used to. They are NOT subtle pickups. They don't do clean and gentle easily...and even when they do, they sound like a caged lion...not really allowed to do their thing.

They are really compressed; they aren't very sensitive to my usual picking dynamics. I am used to getting my breakup, cleans, and other tonal changes by the way I pick. But with the Super Ds, I have learned to: 1) lay way back on my pick attack when using them, because giving the pick extra force really doesn't do that much to change anything anyhow...so might as well be lazy, 2) use my volume knob more to affect my tone. I can normally change the tone (and volume) drastically by simply lightening up my attack with the pick; I can't do it with the Super Ds. So I find myself using the volume knob more, 3) I've also found that I like them better with lighter strings than I normally use. My go-to set is 11-54 with a wound G. With the Super Ds, I really like 11-48 with a plain G.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-08-2012, 07:43 AM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              The point is the same unless someone tells you which guitar is which on the Tribute album you cant tell them apart you seem to be missing that. For a fanboy its interesting info for help deciding what a Super D sounds like its not a useful example.
              but I just said which guitar were used on which song
              it's been witnessed by people who saw Randy live at the time.
              And yes, you can tell the difference between the Super Distortion
              and the T-tops the 'After Hours' is another fine example

Comment

A big, big part of the Super Distortion sound is the amp you play it through. The rest is the pickup itself, the guitar it's in, effects and perhaps most important: the player.

That said, some classic recorded Super Distortion sounds came from Al Dimeola with Return To Forever and Tom Sholz with Boston.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

My Charvel came loaded with Super D's and I never got around to trying other pickups for years. I was kinda a fan of Al Dimeola during those years and learned to play several of his songs so it suited me fine. A Super D does sound quite different in a Charvel than it does in a Les Paul of course. Its more in your face in Fender type instrument. I agree with these observations:

They are really compressed; they aren't very sensitive to my usual picking dynamics. I am used to getting my breakup, cleans, and other tonal changes by the way I pick. But with the Super Ds, I have learned to: 1) lay way back on my pick attack when using them, because giving the pick extra force really doesn't do that much to change anything anyhow...so might as well be lazy, 2) use my volume knob more to affect my tone. I can normally change the tone (and volume) drastically by simply lightening up my attack with the pick; I can't do it with the Super Ds. So I find myself using the volume knob more,
                  This was why when my own playing matured I began to value pickups with better picking dynamics and tryed several other pickups in the Charvel. It is hard to explain the sound of a Super D with Words but you know what it sounds like.

For Tribute, isn't Randy using a Super D in his live set up for most of those songs?
                  I think that is true. Several years before the cleaned up and edited Tribute album was released, a fellow guitarist gave me a bootleg of what became the tribute album. In its its raw form you can hear the sound of the Super D.

Comment

Originally posted by Gplayerzzz View Post
                    This vid gives the best idea.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bV_Sx49ByY
                    That's so fizzy I can't even tell ANY of them apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                      A big, big part of the Super Distortion sound is the amp you play it through. The rest is the pickup itself, the guitar it's in, effects and perhaps most important: the player.

That said, some classic recorded Super Distortion sounds came from Al Dimeola with Return To Forever and Tom Sholz with Boston.
                      Listen to Lew.Therevare two pickups in the wrold that are beyond reproach. One is the SuperD, the other is thr JB.
                      You must understand that both pickuops are geared for a Marshall amp, circa late 70's/early 80's.
                      Duncan JB was created for a Superstrat, and the SuperD was aimed for a Les Paul.
                      These pickups are ageless and timeless. They were both created out of pure genius. IMHO< they still are the greatest pickups ever made.
                      You can still achieve what you want with eitehr a SuperD or a JB.
                      A SuperD in a Les Paul is still, after all these years, the benchmark for calssioc marshall sound, as is the JB in a Superstrat.
                      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I love the SuperD. Mine sounds more or less like in these videos:
                        I recently added the DiMarzio Super Distortion Humbucker DP100 pickup to the bridge position on my Made In Japan Tokai LS80 Love Rock Les Paul.It is recorded...

My Gibson Les Paul Standard 1990 model in Wine Red. This was for a long time my main gigging guitar. It is now returned to the pickup configuration I used th...

What I like the most about it is the middle position sound(on a 3way switch) it gives on the clean channel of the amp.

Comment

Working...
                        X