banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 to 4 conductor help needed in DC area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 to 4 conductor help needed in DC area.

I need to convert a 2 conductor wired 57 Classic plus pup to 4.Anyone in the DC area who can do it for me?

Re: 2 to 4 conductor help needed in DC area.

? Bump

Comment

It really isn't that hard to do it yourself. The wires are thin and fragile, but if you have a reasonably steady hand you should be able to do it.

Each coil has two wires, a start and a finish. The finish of one coil is connected to the start of the other coil (to get series mode). Just disconnect those wires and attach each to their own pup wire. This will give you four pup wires (the ground is the braided shield, + three others). You could also disconnect the braided shield from the coil wire and connect a single pup wire to that coil wire to give you 4 pup wires. The baseplate would be connected to a 5th wire to be connected to ground with the first coil's start wire.

Review the thread about making a hybrid, there are some good pics in there that can be useful.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Just like a Duncan black is start, white is finish. If you've got some 4 wire just put the shield to the baseplate, black to the black from the slug coil, white to the white from the slug coil, red to the white from the screw coil, and green to the black from the screw coil. Then you can just wire it in like a Duncan (instead of that funky Gibson color code).

Be really careful not to yank on the wires coming from the coils when you desolder/solder the lead wires, they are easier to gank on a gibbo pickup. Tape them up or shrink wrap them (even better) when you're done.

It's a fairly easy job if you've rummaged around in a pickup before, and if you're careful.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.Having paid $150 for that pup I really dont want to experiment on it.I will try it on an old pup next time but for this I could use some pro help.

Comment

Seymour Duncan will do this conversion for $20 bucks. Same thing I charge.

It's a PITA to do.

Artie

Comment

If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself, send it to Artie, or Duncan, or Zhang and have one of them do it for you.

Comment

slightly off-topic... but could the Custom Shop also swap the top of the bobbin to make a zebra all black? or an all black into a zebra? if a pup was already in there for a 4-con conversion, it'd be a good opportunity, wouldn't you say?

Comment

Decided to send it to Seymour Duncan.One last question- Will there be any loss in quality while using it in the humbucker mode after the alteration?

Thanks.

Comment

no, none. Sound will be exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                      slightly off-topic... but could the Custom Shop also swap the top of the bobbin to make a zebra all black? or an all black into a zebra? if a pup was already in there for a 4-con conversion, it'd be a good opportunity, wouldn't you say?
                      Bobbins are one piece of molded plastic, so you can't remove the top.

And if the tops were removable, the fine wire around the bobbins would likely pop out all over the place, making it impossible to put back together.

Comment

Working...
                      X