Muddy Super Distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muddy Super Distortion

I took my set of Super Distortions out of my basswood 'Explorer' and temporarily put them in my new ash 'Thinline' for sizing and to hear what they sound like in another guitar. I have 500k pots (1 vol 1 tone) with .22 cap on tone, typical H-H stuff. I am 99% sure I have everything wired right, everything is grounded, everything looks right BUT.... the 'Thinline' has overwhelming low end. It's like I took the EQ and set it to B-10/M-5/T-1, didn't have the problem in the 'Explorer'.

I know that different woods create different sounds. I also went on Dimarzio.com and saw the SD has a EQ rating of B-8/M-7.5/T-5.5. I was expecting the SLIGHT sound change but this is like going from a guitar to a bass. It doesn't sound 'bad' like the wiring is jacked it just has NO high end.

This is my first pickup transplant (usually put 'em in and leave 'em), is the sound difference between woods that great and I put the wrong pups in or am I missing a wiring problem? Ultimately I'm wanting to put a GFS Pro alnico II in the bridge and alnico V in neck but with this problem I might have to rethink it if it's the wood at fault.

Any help would be appreciated.
    LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
    Thinline W/GFS Classic II
    Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
    LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
    Blackstar HT5-H.
    Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Re: Muddy Super Distortion

Have you messed around with the height of the pup? Try lowering it, and/or raise the poles. Adjust the eq on the amp.

If that doesnt help and assuming everything else is kosher, id say you have a warm/muddy/guitar.
    Last edited by JeffB; 06-17-2012, 07:53 AM.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

If it's THAT drastic, I'd say it's got something to do with the wiring, especially in something like ash. I've heard a lot of ash run a range from middy to harsh but never muffled like that.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
        Have you messed around with the height of the pup? Try lowering it, and/or raise the poles. Adjust the eq on the amp.

If that doesnt help and assuming everything else is kosher, id say you have a warm/muddy/guitar.
        I don't want to do too much to the pickup since it will be going back into the Explorer. I think I will go through the wires again.

Kinda a side question: How does Gibson ground their TOM bridges?
        LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
        Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

Originally posted by Bfeeney View Post
          I don't want to do too much to the pickup since it will be going back into the Explorer. I think I will go through the wires again.

Kinda a side question: How does Gibson ground their TOM bridges?
          They have a small hole drilled through to the treble side tailpiece post. The insert just smashes one end of the wire between it and the wood and the other end gets soldered to a pot casing.

Comment

OK I have to call 'Dumb Ass' on myself. I'm almost too embarassed to say but here it goes... When I put the switch in I put it in upside down, so what I thought was the bridge pickup it was really the neck. Dumb ass!

I was just playing and I noticed that the neck pickup (what I thought was the neck) sounded clear and good, like the bridge should sound, and the 'bridge' sounded muddy. I started thinking, ended up getting the screw driver out and tapped on the pups while going through the switch. Found I mounted it upside down.

It's a relief that that's all it was, I'm happy if I don't have to solder. I'm good at it but I really don't like doing it, wierd.

I did find that the SD pups aren't my cup of tea in that Tele. They rock in the Explorer though!

Thanks for everyones help.
            LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
            Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

Originally posted by Bfeeney View Post
              . . . with .22 cap on tone . . .
              You meant, .022, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                You meant, .022, right?
                No, there's a .22 long in there
                LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

There's your "mud".

Oh, wait. That was sarcasm . . . right?
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-17-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

You'd think that with all the tinkering I do, I'd point and laugh but...

...I get that switch backwards more often than I'd like to admit.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                      You'd think that with all the tinkering I do, I'd point and laugh but...

...I get that switch backwards more often than I'd like to admit.
                      Well I'm glad I'm not alone! I should have seen that when I put it together, guarantee I NEVER do it again. Can't win 'em all I guess.
                      LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                      Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

Only difference, formula, is that you tap the pickups when testing it before posting, right?

Comment

I use a 1 meg volume with mine and I changed out the brass baseplate for a nickle steel.

Comment

Working...
                          X