Do I want a Pearly Gates Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I want a Pearly Gates Bridge?

I'm in the process of bringing my disassembled Warmoth LPS back from the dead, and I've reached the point where it's time to select the pickups.

In my other LPS, I've got a Seth/Custom Custom combo going.. I like the sound of the Custom Custom with some gain, but on the clean channel it tends to push my Orange a little too hard.. I can't really get a "clean clean" sound.

So what I'm looking for in my new guitar is a sound in the same ballpark as the Custom Custom on the dirty channel (good mids, a nice low end), but a cleaner sounding clean channel.

I'm thinking the Pearly Gates bridge paired with a '59 in the neck would do the trick.. hopefully the '59 will balance out any shrill treble on the Pearly Gates. I'm also hoping the Pearly Gates will have just the right output level to allow me to play a good "clean" clean, but still drive the amp's gain channel a bit.

Any thoughts/comments on this? I've already purchased the Pearly Gates bridge, so basically I'm just looking to validate my decision before I wire it all up (I'm not very handy with the solder gun, so it's a big deal for me )
    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Re: Do I want a Pearly Gates Bridge?

YES...I have a CC/APH set in one of my guitars and a PG set in the other...I know what you mean about the clean tone of a CC...the PG has a far better clean sound. Lots of people say that a PG is shrill but I disagree...to be honest a PG is my favorite pup...both bridge and neck, if fact I am going to suggest a PG neck for you as well. I got a PG bridge first and was blown away, I got the neck later and was even more impressed. IMO a PG neck is one of the best neck buckers you can get your hands on! The bridge is just as killer. Very vintage in tone and output and a great pickup. BTW...what are the other specs of the guitar???

good luck

The guy who invented fire
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      YES...I have a CC/APH set in one of my guitars and a PG set in the other...I know what you mean about the clean tone of a CC...the PG has a far better clean sound. Lots of people say that a PG is shrill but I disagree...to be honest a PG is my favorite pup...both bridge and neck, if fact I am going to suggest a PG neck for you as well. I got a PG bridge first and was blown away, I got the neck later and was even more impressed. IMO a PG neck is one of the best neck buckers you can get your hands on! The bridge is just as killer. Very vintage in tone and output and a great pickup. BTW...what are the other specs of the guitar???

good luck

The guy who invented fire
      Good to hear!

Yea, I've heard quite a few stories from both sides of the issue regarding the treble of the PG.. some say it's fine, others saying it's a bit unbalanced. I suppose I'll find that out for myself.

The guitar itself is a flat-top Warmoth LPS with a Walnut top, Black Limba body, Wenge neck and Ebony fretboard. (Not exactly the brightest guitar to begin with! )

I've tried the C5/'59 combo in there previously.. it worked pretty well, but the bridge by itself seemed a bit unfocused, especially in a full-band situation. I'm hoping the PG will have the mids that the C5 lacked.. from the sounds of things, it does.
      -Alex

I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

a PG has a spike in the upper mids...that is what most people are talking about when they say it's kinda bright. It's a great pup, very PAF'ish but with a Texas kick...kinda like a Seth with hot sauce!!!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Oh, another point of interest along the same subject:

Anyone have any experiences with splitting a PG? I'm imagining a very vintage-stratish sound..
          -Alex

Comment

The PG is the best bridge pickup i have ever played, and i have played most of the SD line. I paired mine with an Alnico II pro in the neck (both have aII magnets) and i love it!
            PRS Singlecuts
            Epiphone Sheraton II
            Vintage acoustics

Comment

Bump for any more thoughts.

Originally posted by Fatty
              Oh, another point of interest along the same subject:

Anyone have any experiences with splitting a PG? I'm imagining a very vintage-stratish sound..
              -Alex

Comment

The Pearly Gates uses an unbalanced coil configuration, so make sure you split to the coil with the higher resistance. I don't remember which one that is, someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Ryan
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

the PG neck split was a very nice sound indeed.......never tried the PG bridge though (my PG neck is now guy who invented fire's PG neck)
                  http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                  >cord<
                  1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Once you install the PG bridge you'll have to put some clips man! I'd like to hear it through a good clean channel.
                    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                    • G&L Tribute Comanche
                    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                      The Pearly Gates uses an unbalanced coil configuration, so make sure you split to the coil with the higher resistance. I don't remember which one that is, someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Ryan

The output is going to be low with either coil. I'm talking Danelectro low.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                        The output is going to be low with either coil. I'm talking Danelectro low.
                        True...but if you're going to split it, go with the higher output coil.

Ryan
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

It's a cool sound. I split to the stud coil on one and the screw in the other. Not sure which, though.
                          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                          X