Help with pickups all knowing ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with pickups all knowing ones

Was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for pickups.

My guitar is a Basswood Fender Showmaster Hardtail with a Carved Top body, 5 way switch, 2 humbuckers.

The Current pups just lack any...oomph, yeah they are fine, well actually the neck pup is a PoS, but either way I get no oomph.

The tones I like the most are of these people:

Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria: Emg 81/85
    Daniel Johns of Silverchair: I've heard he uses Gibson 57 Classics
    Both the Guys of Glassjaw: No Idea except after seeing Live Vids they don't use EMG's

and to a Lesser extent bands like New Found Glory various pop/punk, At the Drive in, and Boy Hits Car. Also I know these bands are mostly hardcore but would like to have a decent clean as an option for some songs by these bands...although normally seen as a bad idea wouldn't be hesitant to mix an Active and Passive pup if it would give me the best tone.

Can anyone suggest to me how to get sounds like these? Very soon I will be getting a Mesa Dual Rectifier. Also if anyone can confirm Daniel Johns actually uses Gibson 57's...because even though he does get the feedback you'd expect...I just don't see him getting the sounds he does out of vintage pups.

Thanks in advance guys for all the help.
    Last edited by Mllerrin; 12-25-2004, 12:21 AM.
    Peavey Classic 50 2x12

Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH
    Fender Showmaster

Korg Pitchblack
    Boss Ph-2
    MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Re: Help with pickups all knowing ones

If you want to have some great clean and distorted tones, I would check into an Alnico II Pro neck/JB bridge combination. These pickups will be versatile because the A2 is very warm and will be great for clean and the JB will be great for lead, as will both pickups at once be great for both! the 311 guitarist tim mahoney uses this combination, and while many think they only play heavy stuff, their clean tones are verrrry nice as well. Check out 'all mixed up' for example of their great clean tone. If the A2 isnt the sound youre going for, the Seth Lovers will give you more vintage tone, and the 59 model is also a great neck pickup. The JB is, in my opinion, a good building block pickup. It is a great pickup to buy and build around. Hope I helped.
    Fender USA Strat
    Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. Reverb
    Retroman Sybil Fuzz
    Zendrive

Comment

hey bro, welcome to the forum...on the first album Daniel used a Les Paul Standard, and at the time Classic 57's were the stock pup. Later on it was PRS guitars with stock pups as well...these were/are also vintage output pups. Lately he has been playing a Black LP Custom with Classic 57's. I really think that you can cover LOTS of ground with vinatge type pups, with a Dual recto you will ba able to get all the crunch you want and a vintage pup will have a better clean tone.

Is your guitar stock? I just read where the guitar you are talking about has a Pearly Gates plus in the neck and a 59 in the bridge...is that what you have, if so what do you NOT like about them? Let me know, I'll try to help you as much as possible
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

No mine is a Limited Edition Showmaster, almost identical to the Blackout HH only it has a MOP Scorpion on the 11th-13th fret. It comes with the Fender Atomic Humbucker and the Black Canyon. The black canyon is the muddy one in the neck (poor guitar has been left on bridge 24/7 since I got it b/c of this damn pup).

Did a little listening on the site on the A2's and JB and some research. I'm almost sold on the 57 in the Neck (I hear the 57 plus is too harsh in the neck and I'm assuming it might lack bottom end unless that would be fixed enough by upping the bass on my amp. As for the bridge I heard the JB can sound really thin, especially on basswood

Is this true about the JB? All I really have to go on are sites as my local guitar shops are nothing but single coil strats that are stock pickups. Im just lucky I got my strat off ebay and I turned out to love it.

So I don't know if you can assure me that a JB or 57+ is still ok what would be better the tone wizard on the site gives me the options of a Custom and a Custom 5 which..on the site...to me sound nothing different except maybe slightly.

Thanks for all the quick replies
        Peavey Classic 50 2x12

Fender Showmaster

Korg Pitchblack
        Boss Ph-2
        MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Comment

Ok try this...Im a little unsure about a Classis 57 in bass wood, and the JB too for that matter. Get a 59 for the neck, and a Custom 5 for the bridge...if the bridge is too bright, use the 21 day return policy and get a Custom Custom (or just convert it...PM me if you want to know about this). I think that would be a killer combo for what you want. BTW...what are you gonna do with the pups that come out of it???
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

JB is great, My personal suggestion to you would be Distortion in the bridge, and to make sure your guitar isn't on brideg 24/7 get a great Jazz Humbucker for the neck... If you like the '57 that would be a good option for ya too, listen to audio samples to see if you can well what you like more.
            Rock On
            ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
            2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
            Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

What about the Dimarzio Breed? It's sounding (as in what I've read) good to me and I heard Dimarzio's are supposed to work well in Basswood.

So far I have it somewhat narrowed down (this is tough based all on reading):

Bridge:
              Dimarzio Breed
              Emg 81 (Unlikely I will but it seems most of my fave bands use em so the sound of them must appeal to my ears)

Neck:
              Seymour 59 (Leaning towards this)
              Gibson Classic 57 Plus
              Emg 85 (Look at reason for 81)

Im leaning towards the Breed/59 combo but would like some feedback on whether they would be a good match (Idk if it really makes a difference but would these pickups cut through in a band situation?)

Edit: I've set my mind on the suggested Custom Custom and 59 and figure I'll try out 57's on a different guitar at a later time. Thanks for all the help guys.
              Last edited by Mllerrin; 12-27-2004, 02:21 AM.
              Peavey Classic 50 2x12

Fender Showmaster

Korg Pitchblack
              Boss Ph-2
              MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Comment

Working...
              X