Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement pups for Epiphone DOT?

Hi All,

This is my first post here, nice place you guys got!

My friend lent me a mid 70's 335 and I love the way it sounds. I can't afford one so I bought a Epiphone Dot (335 knock off). It plays pretty well, and sounds good, but I like the sound of the 335 better.

I'm looking to replace the pups in the Epi with ones similar to the 335, but I don't know much about them...I haven't measured the impedance, but I know that's only part of the sound (output).

Now I understand these are two different guitars, and I am not going to get the same exact sound. Acoustically, they sound pretty different, and this difference carries through to the amp (335 is brighter, more detailed). I play through an Aiken Invader (sounds like a '72 Marshall), mostly rock and blues.

If anyone has any ideas on a good pair of pickups that are designed to replicate the sound of original mid 70's 335 pickups, or any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Also, I'd like to stick with the chrome covers.

Cheers,

Dave

---
    Last edited by 247jamz; 12-26-2004, 01:08 AM.

Re: Replacement pups for Epiphone DOT?

If they come in the chrome covers that you want, this would be my reccomendation:
    Pearly Gates Bridge, '59 Neck
    We're talking serious vintage sound rite here, it would definetly spice up your DOT, but like I said, i'm not sure if they come in the chrome covers or not...
    Rock On
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

The ussual recomendation for hollowbody guitars are the Seth Lover's. They are recreation of the 50's humbuckers. I have never tried them but i have heard many clips, allways great tone: clear, open and articulated. They come stock covered.

Originally posted by Kac
      If they come in the chrome covers that you want, this would be my reccomendation:
      Pearly Gates Bridge, '59 Neck
      We're talking serious vintage sound rite here, it would definetly spice up your DOT, but like I said, i'm not sure if they come in the chrome covers or not...
      Rock On
      They come covered if you order them that way, otherwise they will be "uncovered".

Comment

+1 for seths

Comment

Try an Antiquity neck, Seth bridge, you'll like it.

Comment

While I like the previous recommendations, not one of the sets mentioned will sound like the Pat # pickups in your friend's 335. The Duncans closest to that are the 59 set, which do come covered, if so desired.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

like it was said above...your buddys 335 has later Gibson pups in it...A Seth/Pearly/ or Antiquity would be closer to a 58 or 59 335...as for Duncans that would be the closest tou your buddys 335 Im also gonna say 59's...they do come in covers and in truth I think that a 59 is the BEST all around humbucker Duncan has...good luck. BTW, you can order puckups from our forum brother Lew, he has killer prices and do not for get that if you buy a new Duncan there is a 21 day return policy!

Welcome, make your self at home
              The guy who invented fire
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I have always had good luck with Seymour duncan pickups, I have a Les Paul with a JB in the bridge and Alnico II in the neck, and a frankenstrat with a JB junior in the neck plus a couple classic stacks. I'll be checking out Lew to see what the pickups y'all mentioned might cost me. And a 21 day return policy is pretty cool!

Thanks all,

Dave

Comment

[QUOTE=BTW, you can order puckups from our forum brother Lew, he has killer prices and do not for get that if you buy a new Duncan there is a 21 day return policy!
                  [/QUOTE]

How do you get ahold of Lew? I couldn't find his name as a forum member.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X