Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Drop?

Hey folks...

Time for new pups in my strat finally. Unfortunately I cannot afford a complete new set of 3 as I also need a new amp after my Vox crapped out.

I'm looking into the Hot Rails for a bridge pup, and I was wondering if there is going to be a huge volume drop when I switch from the HR to the neck or middle (stock american single coil) pups?

For that matter will It also drop significantly with a JBjr or Lil' 59/Demon in the bridge too?

Thanx in advance
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Volume Drop?

Yes, there is gonna be a volume drop when going from any mid/high output 'bucker to a single coil. The '59 & Demon might not be so bad, but the Hot Rails & JB are gonna be pretty huge.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanx JB.As I figured... sigh. May have to go cheaper on an amp, and get all 3 pups swapped out.

Anyone using a 59/demon or cool rails in the bridge with stock pups in a strat otherwise?
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I've got a hot rails too in my Strat.
        For the sound it is incredible. A fat and full sound.
        It's worth the money!

I don't have that volume loss, but I only play at home and don't play live, maybe that is an explanation.
        Rock on!

Bluesrock form the Netherlands!

Comment

My Kami 4 is currently using a Screamin Demon/SSL-1 combination, and it's great. Once I got the heights balanced out, the volume drop is minimal. I will be swapping out the Demon for an Alnico II Pro, tho, because my maple guitars sound too similar with the Demon in the bridge pos ...
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
            My Kami 4 is currently using a Screamin Demon/SSL-1 combination, and it's great. Once I got the heights balanced out, the volume drop is minimal. I will be swapping out the Demon for an Alnico II Pro, tho, because my maple guitars sound too similar with the Demon in the bridge pos ...
            Thanks Ben...I think I may just go with a HR in the bridge and neck, since those are my 2 most used positions, and upgrade the middle pup at some other time (I'm finding though I do enjoy the middle pup for Blackmore type leads..even though apparently he didn't use the middle pup :shrug: )

That way I can just boost the clean volume on whatever amp I end up with for quacky sounds and the middle pup, and not worry about having to compensate volume-wise for a stock neck pickup under high gain.

Comment

Working...
            X