Hot rails in neck for strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot rails in neck for strat?

Anyone use one of these in the neck pos of their strat?

I assume it would be a great neck shred pup? but how does it clean up and sound in the out of phase (#4) position?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Hot rails in neck for strat?

WOW, a hot rails in the neck!

Isn't that a bit bassy?
    Rock on!

Bluesrock form the Netherlands!

Comment

My Wayne has a JB in the bridge, and Hot Rails in the middle and neck position. My Strat has a Joe Barden Strat Deluxe in the neck. Both of these pups are great in the neck! I only find the Hot Rails to be a bit bassy when I'm using it through a modeler and tracking straight into the board, and then it's nothing a little EQ can't fix. Through and amp, it sounds great.

Jeff, please note: it took me a looong time to find the ideal height for the HR. At first, I hated the pup, becaue I thought it sounded weak ... after much tweaking, tho, I found the sweet spot, as far as my tastes are concerned, and voila! I love it now!

For shredding, it's a great pup in the neck position. I don't use the middle/neck position with high gain, usually for clean leads, and the tone is great - nice quack, but percussive.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
        My Wayne has a JB in the bridge, and Hot Rails in the middle and neck position.
        That's a HOT guitar man!!
        Rock on, I'm just listening to 'running with the devil'.

Rock on!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
          Jeff, please note: it took me a looong time to find the ideal height for the HR. At first, I hated the pup, becaue I thought it sounded weak ... after much tweaking, tho, I found the sweet spot, as far as my tastes are concerned, and voila! I love it now!

For shredding, it's a great pup in the neck position. I don't use the middle/neck position with high gain, usually for clean leads, and the tone is great - nice quack, but percussive.
          Ben...thanx for the tips...I too rarely use the out of phase positions for high gain...sometimes a slight crunch Skynyrd type thing, but mostly for cleans. Just wanted to make sure it indeed would have the "quack" when needed
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Maiden's Dave Murray uses hotrails in the neck on his newer Strats
            My 'gear':

3-Tone Sunburst U.S Fender Floyd Rose Strat, bridge Fender DH-1

Off-white Fender Prodigy with Duncan JB in the bridge. Dodgy single coils, too...

Vox V847 Wah, true-bypass :saeek:, Dunlop Crybaby.

Ibanez Tubescreamer, true bypass :saeek: .

ISP Decimator Noise Reducer.

Current Guitar longings - creme U.S Fender Floyd Rose Strat, with DiMarzio Super Distortion in teh bridge.

An Ibz JS1200CA.

Comment

I have hot rail on my neck and bridge I love it!

Fender MIM Strat (Hot Rails)
              Squier P-Bass
              Hamer Standard (import)

Comment

Originally posted by Fiber-Optics
                I have hot rail on my neck and bridge I love it!
                I don't wont to be rude, but why do people use a Strat then?

If you dont like the single coil sound, why stick to a Strat.

Isn't it more logic to get a Gibson or something else with humbuckers on it?

Don't get mad, I'm just curious...
                Rock on!

Comment

Originally posted by rocker_71

I don't know about for everyone else...but I prefer the sound of a bolt on neck vs. a glued/set neck with humbuckers (though I was a Gibson guy for many years). It has a different sound..individual notes in a chord are more distinct, and lead tones are are more even across the tonal spectrum, and overall it's a "punchier" or "snappier" feel and sound.

I also prefer the longer scale and resulting tighter string tension with lighter guage strings. Plus they are lightweight, I like the 3 pup versatility, and they have a comfortably shaped body.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                    I don't know about for everyone else...but I prefer the sound of a bolt on neck vs. a glued/set neck with humbuckers (though I was a Gibson guy for many years). It has a different sound..individual notes in a chord are more distinct, and lead tones are are more even across the tonal spectrum, and overall it's a "punchier" or "snappier" feel and sound.

I also prefer the longer scale and resulting tighter string tension with lighter guage strings. Plus they are lightweight, I like the 3 pup versatility, and they have a comfortably shaped body.
                    That's an elaborate answer, tanx mate!
                    Rock on!

Comment

Besides the fact that the strat is the best guitar of all time......

I like the versatility available when you isntall push-pull/push-push pots in conjunction with single coil-sized humbuckers in the neck and bridge, and a good single coil in the middle position. An amazing pallette of tones available at the flick of a switch!
                      ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

That's a HOT guitar man!!
                        Rock on, I'm just listening to 'running with the devil'.
                        Hehe ... actually, it's the hottest of all guitars, and I'm currently saving up for Wayne #2!

Comment

Originally posted by Monty
                          Maiden's Dave Murray uses hotrails in the neck on his newer Strats
                          They are actually Wayne guitars, www.wayneguitars.com.

Comment

Not mad at all ... the reason I use bladed pups is because I like the sound of the coils being so close. I also like the tonal quality of where the pups are located on the Strat. And finally, I like high gain, and detest noise!! Hope that helps!
                            With my Joe Barden pups, the sound is actually very much like the classic Strat tone, but with high output and no noise. Kind of a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I use my Strat 'cuz it's the only guitar that I've ever picked up that's felt like "mine"

I use my Hot Rails 'cuz they make my guitar sound meeean.

-X
                              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                              X