Another pup choice question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pup choice question

Hello all, I'm new here. I'm new to all this pickup stuff, I've only been playing a year :S.

I was wondering what bridge pickup is good to play heavy metal, in particular Iron Maiden?

I'm sure I heard that Adrian Smith used SD JB's at some point, but I can't be certain. Can anyone recommend me a good pickup for this style for music?

Thanks
    My 'gear':

3-Tone Sunburst U.S Fender Floyd Rose Strat, bridge Fender DH-1

Off-white Fender Prodigy with Duncan JB in the bridge. Dodgy single coils, too...

Vox V847 Wah, true-bypass :saeek:, Dunlop Crybaby.

Ibanez Tubescreamer, true bypass :saeek: .

ISP Decimator Noise Reducer.

Current Guitar longings - creme U.S Fender Floyd Rose Strat, with DiMarzio Super Distortion in teh bridge.

An Ibz JS1200CA.

Re: Another pup choice question

Oh yeah I play a sunburst Mex Fender Fat Strat, floyd rose, maple f'board. Everything in it is stock at the moment.
    My 'gear':

Off-white Fender Prodigy with Duncan JB in the bridge. Dodgy single coils, too...

Current Guitar longings - creme U.S Fender Floyd Rose Strat, with DiMarzio Super Distortion in teh bridge.

An Ibz JS1200CA.

Comment

welcome to the forum!!

a jb is a great place to start for that tone

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
        welcome to the forum!!

a jb is a great place to start for that tone
        +1
        Rock on!

Bluesrock form the Netherlands!

Comment

JB is an excellent choice, my personal famorite humbucker... The Duncan Distortion is a high output humbucker that is awesome for Metal, so there's another idea...
          Rock On
          ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
          2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
          Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

The JB is a fine choice. You might also look at the Screamin Demon for some similar tones (not as high of an output, but they still scream, hence the name).

And BTW - Welcome aboard!
            Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Thanks all for your replies Kac, is the Duncan Distortion an active pickup?

Another question, though I feel stupid asking, is, what's a 'trembucker'?
              My 'gear':

An Ibz JS1200CA.

Comment

No, the DD is not an active pup.

A trembucker is a pup with wider spaced pole-pieces that allow better alignment between teh pole pieces and the strings. Trembuckers are used in the bridge of guitars with a string spread of 2 1/8" or more, such as vintage strat bridges, TOM bridges, Floyd Rose, etc. Depends on the bridge.
                Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS
                  A trembucker is a pup with wider spaced pole-pieces that allow better alignment between teh pole pieces and the strings. Trembuckers are used in the bridge of guitars with a string spread of 2 1/8" or more, such as vintage strat bridges, TOM bridges, Floyd Rose, etc. Depends on the bridge.
                  So a trembucker would 'fit' my strat (it has a floyd rose liscenced trem, not original, sadly) better than a 'normal' JB?
                  My 'gear':

An Ibz JS1200CA.

Comment

I don't own a Floyd Rose equipped guitar, so you'll have to measure the string spread. But yes, I think you'll want a trem spaced JB for use with a Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty
                      So a trembucker would 'fit' my strat (it has a floyd rose liscenced trem, not original, sadly) better than a 'normal' JB?
                      I wouldn't say it'd physically fit better (not sure if that's what you meant though)...but since the string spacing of the pickup would compensate for the extra string spacing a Floyd gives, it'd sound more balanced, and you'd get more response from the two E strings.
                      '04 Schecter C-1 Plus (TB-4 JB/SH-2n Jazz)

Comment

Originally posted by Jag513
                        I wouldn't say it'd physically fit better (not sure if that's what you meant though)...but since the string spacing of the pickup would compensate for the extra string spacing a Floyd gives, it'd sound more balanced, and you'd get more response from the two E strings.
                        Yeah that's what I meant, it'd line up with the strigs better
                        Cheers
                        My 'gear':

An Ibz JS1200CA.

Comment

i also have a fat strat configuration guitar. i play metal and the JB suits me fine. It really versatile, thats why i also love it playing clean..
                          On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Comment

Working...
                          X