Gibson 500T replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson 500T replacement

I have a Gibson New Century Explorer. It has a 500t bridge pickup which is a good PU but I would like to try something different. I play mainly metal and was considering either a SD distortion or invader PU. I would prefer to not go to active PUs due to issues with the body cavity. Anyone with any opinions on a good PU or your thoughts on the 500t?

Re: Gibson 500T replacement

I have a dimebucker in a Washburn and its a great pickup for that guitar but for the explorer I would like something different. Is the 500T already considered a hot rodded PU? If there is a PU ou there that someone recommends or how they view the 500t I would appreciate any input.

Comment

What kind of metal?
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Anything from hard rock to heavy metal. Black Label Society Metallica megadeth slayer ozzy pantera. I have SD LiveWires and EMGs in some of my other guitars. So I am have active pickups but am only contemplating changing the 500t to another passive PU. Its a good pickup I just wanted to hot rod my guitar and get a more aggressive sound.

Comment

A 500t is pretty darn close to a Distortion, which, IMO is a pretty good pup for what you want!

But consider this:

Distortion = mids/highs
          Custom = lows/highs
          Invader = lows/mids (I'm guessing on that...)

Do you even need a high output pup is another consideration. What amp? Fx?
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            A 500t is pretty darn close to a Distortion, which, IMO is a pretty good pup for what you want!

But consider this:

Distortion = mids/highs
            Custom = lows/highs
            Invader = lows/mids (I'm guessing on that...)

Do you even need a high output pup is another consideration. What amp? Fx?
            your right about the invader but is mids are rather crisp so it's Not as dark as u would think. Also I like to set it a bit lower than most other pups. I also never understood why some ppl think it's muddy

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
              your right about the invader but is mids are rather crisp so it's Not as dark as u would think. Also I like to set it a bit lower than most other pups. I also never understood why some ppl think it's muddy
              Your right, the Invader has a larger mid range growl than the DD, and its not muddy, but in some mahaogany guitars, like mine, it's bottom end is a bit boomy, but easily tightened up via your amp, especially a Marshall
              DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Personally I like the 500T and also the 496R that's in the neck position of the Explorer and in my opinion are pretty hot pickups. My Explorer is the only guitar I own that's completely stock because it will cover everything I need when playing hard rock and metal. I can easily get thick bone crushing metal tones with all the pinch harmonics you could ask for, but without losing clarity or the ability to control the dynamics. I even replaced the stock pickups in my SG with the same 500T/496R set and it really brought that guitar alive.

I'm sure there's a Seymour Duncan pickup that would provide all the same capabilities but honestly I haven't felt the need to mess with it.

Comment

No doubt many people run hot pups way too close to the strings
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Matman1 View Post
                    Anything from hard rock to heavy metal. Black Label Society Metallica megadeth slayer ozzy pantera. I have SD LiveWires and EMGs in some of my other guitars. So I am have active pickups but am only contemplating changing the 500t to another passive PU. Its a good pickup I just wanted to hot rod my guitar and get a more aggressive sound.
                    So you have no clue about the 500T and just want to swap pickups just for the sake of spending money and saying you've customized your guitar?

What if I told you the 500T was the most aggressive and you would be downgrading with anything you replaced it with?

Comment

Are you keeping your 500T or plan on getting rid of it?

Play it like you mean it!

Originally posted by Ayrton
                      Can we please stop with the whole "bigger strings are manly, sound "better", help you get chicks", etc.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Anything over twenty five or thirty years old is now deemed "vintage" - even if was a steaming pile of manure to begin with.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      You played a chord (minimum note count = three) all on one string. Da boy's a genius.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X