No announcement yet.

All this talk about the custom shop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk about the custom shop...

I just want to get some info on the El Diablo. What woods does it work best in? What tonal qualities does it possess? Is it tight? Is it bright? Is it warm, crunchy, smooth? What kind of eq does it have? Thanks.
    Last edited by youngthrasher9; 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM.
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Re: All this talk about the custom shop...

Someone has to know something about it!

The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

It's not scooped at all, quite the opposite, I have no idea where grump got that from. It's overall fairly balanced, not bright, but not overly dark either, and doesn't quite have the low end of the Warpig for instance. Good crunch, pretty compressed, has similar qualities of the JB, the PATB-2, and the Super3, kind of a mish mash of those pickups. Leads are thick and on the smoother side, and it can be really dynamic when you mess around with the volume knob, and can be used for a lot of different styles, but what it does best is chunky rhythm stuff. Plenty tight enough for old school thrash with a Marshall or another tightish amp, dudes playing Meshuggah stuff will probably want to look elsewhere.

I gave one to a buddy of mine and he plays instrumental post rock stuff, he calls it "super expressive" and told me it saved his ass a couple times on their last recording. So it's not just for metal.

I like it best in alder and poplar with rosewood boards and floyds, so far. It sounded good in mahogany with a bolt on and a TOM, but in a neck through mahogany/maple neck guitar it was kinda dark. When I tested the KGC brass block on a Heartfield RR49 (mahogany set neck) it was dark, but not with the stock steel block. No where was it bad though. It's a really good pickup.
      Last edited by King IzzO))); 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

How tight the pup sounds all depends on your rig, it sounds plenty tight through my friend's knucklehead in his Jacksons.....If you have a modern high gain amp it will be more that precise enough....Maybe not the best Choice if you're rocking an old One channel flame thrower.....

It's an amazing pickup IMO....

Comment

+1 to the Jackson, can't think of a better pickup for them.

Comment

Sounded really good in my old Jaguar. Heavy, growly, mean. I prefer lower output but it was good.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
              Someone has to know something about it!
              yes. SD does. have you called cust serv / tech support to ask them?

Comment

Yeah, that's the ceramic magnet/steel blade Duncan designed thing, not the same pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                  From Mr. Jiggles:
                  Here's my recent thread on the set; NOT scooped. To me, they sound like a full, modern humbucker with plenty of output but not insane like an Invader, and a whole lot more organic than I expected... A LOT more! I can only assume it's because of the A2 mags. They're a *wee* bit dark in this Les Paul, I keep wondering how they would sound in my (much better) Hamer Newport. I'll probably try it some day.

Last edited by Natman; 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                    It's not scooped at all, quite the opposite, I have no idea where grump got that from. It's overall fairly balanced, not bright, but not overly dark either, and doesn't quite have the low end of the Warpig for instance. Good crunch, pretty compressed, has similar qualities of the JB, the PATB-2, and the Super3, kind of a mish mash of those pickups. Leads are thick and on the smoother side, and it can be really dynamic when you mess around with the volume knob, and can be used for a lot of different styles, but what it does best is chunky rhythm stuff. Plenty tight enough for old school thrash with a Marshall or another tightish amp, dudes playing Meshuggah stuff will probably want to look elsewhere.

I gave one to a buddy of mine and he plays instrumental post rock stuff, he calls it "super expressive" and told me it saved his ass a couple times on their last recording. So it's not just for metal.

I like it best in alder and poplar with rosewood boards and floyds, so far. It sounded good in mahogany with a bolt on and a TOM, but in a neck through mahogany/maple neck guitar it was kinda dark. When I tested the KGC brass block on a Heartfield RR49 (mahogany set neck) it was dark, but not with the stock steel block. No where was it bad though. It's a really good pickup.
                    This description is pretty much dead on! Balanced for sure. More warm and smooth as opposed to bright and punchy. I never had any problem with it being tight, but I think it matches better in a brighter guitar.

Comment

I was thinking of putting one in a maple neck thru guitar with mahogany wings and an ebony fingerboard. My PRS Torero to be exact. The 59/custom hybrid with an A8 is tad bright. I might try something entirely different if someone can suggest something better to try first.

Originally posted by CTN

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
                        I was thinking of putting one in a maple neck thru guitar with mahogany wings and an ebony fingerboard. My PRS Torero to be exact. The 59/custom hybrid with an A8 is tad bright. I might try something entirely different if someone can suggest something better to try first.
                        Hmm....I have a PRS Torero as well (trans black) and I have an el diablo sitting around homeless. I think I am going to pull the EMG's and put the 'diablo in there.....then I can tell you how it sounds!

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
                          Hmm....I have a PRS Torero as well (trans black) and I have an el diablo sitting around homeless. I think I am going to pull the EMG's and put the 'diablo in there.....then I can tell you how it sounds!
                          Warning: you will have to drill a hole in the guitar going from the electonic cavity to the trem cavity for the ground wire if you do make the swap.

But if you do it, please let me know. I love my torero, I have the trans blue version.

Originally posted by CTN

Comment

Hey man,

I installed the El Diablo in my Torero....WIN! Tight and percussive with a nice warm top end.

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
                              Hey man,

I installed the El Diablo in my Torero....WIN! Tight and percussive with a nice warm top end.
                              Hmmmm... I still have mine, and Izzo even sent me a pickup mount for it, but I'm still scared of trying it cause I'm a ceramic nut......
                              DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Working...
                              X