X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG/C hybrid magnet?? Only A5??

Hey guys, I've searched, read the massive thread, and searched some more,

But want to know

Has anyone tried this particular hybrid with a different magnet?

I love C8's and PGb's, so decided to do up this hybrid-
    but can't get reports of, say, a PG/C A8

Or details of a UOA5 or rough A5 in it.

If an A5 is the only reasonable option, that's good enough for me too

Spill it, friends!
    Last edited by RobSoundtrack; 08-08-2012, 08:52 AM.

Re: PG/C hybrid magnet?? Only A5??

Haven't tried that particular hybrid, but I'll bet it sounds great with an A2 or A8.

Comment

I have tried itband i only like it with a polished a5. Everything else is too chewy.

Comment

Oooh but I like chewy!

Comment

I haven't tried the PG/C hybrid, but I've tried the 59/C and the Demon/C and like them both with a UOA5 best.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have one in my edwards LP with a rough cast A5. Love it. To me the polished A5 was a little to earpeircing for MY LIKING, I must say I like a very smooth warm tone I even use 250k pots for the bridge. Through an RCA5 and heaven to my ears. Got an Pg/jazz hybrid in the neck with an polished A2 mag, very vintage (smooth and creamy) sounding. It is the best neck pu that I personally ever used.

To me going from the polished to the rough the main difference was the highs were rolled off a tad. The mids and lows basiclly sound the same to me in my guitar. Its been several months since I swapped the mags so I can't give a good comparison about that, but I don't recall noticing a difference.
            Last edited by big kurka; 08-08-2012, 05:07 PM.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
            Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
            Boss GT-10
            Rocktron Velocity 300
            Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
            Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
            AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

I think it would sound great with A8. try it and let us know

Comment

I dont like chewy. The a5 was for me the best blend of output, amount of mids, push and drive, bite and chewyness. A8 was too congested and not dynamically rich enough.

I think i figured it out for myself regarding the alnico8. I like it only in pups withba very light wind like the jazz neck or seth neck. Or in a hybrid thats super hot like the patb2/fullshred. And only with the fullshred in the mix. Dont know why.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                  A8 was too congested and not dynamically rich enough.
                  The dynamics. That's what keep me away from the A8, specially the Custom 8 (which was the pickup I tried).

Comment

This is great input. I will definitely try it, but will not have a baseline to directly compare it to without trying another mag also, naturally.

I do, however, typically like the C8 so maybe it will work for me?

Do most agree that A8's suck dynamics? I would have never thought this in the many years on this forum.

However, its being closer to a ceramic sound- does make sense a bit...

Comment

Weaker mags (like A2) do tend to have more dynamics than the powerful ones (ceramic, A8). But the power and tone of the A8 just seem to be the right choice for some pups (like the Custom).

Comment

seems like an A2 would be great for that hybrid.

Comment

A8 and ceramics can be dynamic, a lot depends on the pickup design. I would roll with an A2 in that, I just envision it being bright. A8 should be cool too, for heavier stuff. An A4 should be a good middle area.

Comment

A2 would be good. I also still think that a UOA5 would be nice...a little brighter and spankier than an A2 (I like the A2 in the PG, but hate it in the CC). A UOA5 would be a good compromise.

Comment

Very very interesting stuff!

I will definitely do some comparing and am now just totally unsure of which to start with.

The thing to note is it is going in a guitar that is somewhat bright sounding, but will still want it to do everything from fat leads to screamy diads/triads

The guitar is an Ibby S540MQM, which is loads brighter than my S470DXQM. 470 has a C8 in it and Love it. 540 currently has a PGb A8.
                              Last edited by RobSoundtrack; 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X