No announcement yet.

DMZ hybrid w/dual resistance coils!?*>!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMZ hybrid w/dual resistance coils!?*>!

Unfortunately, all of the DMZ p'ups I have have to make hybrids from have the dual coil resistance feature.
    How do I discern which coil has what sonic tendencies ?

But here's my real question-

I would like to make 2 Norton/Virtual Paf(n) hybrids- one for the neck and one for the bridge.

if anyone knows the actual difference between the individual coils of these two p'ups, which coils would they match up to make a neck and bridge pair of p'ups?

Re: DMZ hybrid w/dual resistance coils!?*>!

Determining the sonic properties of each coil is hard but you can measure the resistance of each coil with a 4 conductor setup. You could wire it to a 4 pole two way switch so you can switch between the two coils. However I doubt the two coils will be night and day. Their position will also influence their sound.

Comment

Imperator of Indignation!

Well, I never!

No mam, I don't believe you ever have.

Groucho?

Comment

Norton is actually a hybrid in itself, it borrows one coil from Fred and one from Tone Zone. Using a multimeter, the coil with higher R reading should be the TZ. So technically, using the Fred Coil/V Paf for the neck, and TZ coil/V Paf for the bridge might be the way to go.

Comment

I'm not saying this is fact, but I think the Fred coil is something like a 4.5-5K 42 awg, so in the range of a Brobucker coil. I suspect the TZ coil is a 7K 43 awg, more or less similar to a Custom coil. Again, I'm not positive on this, but maybe that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X