Cheapest 10k 42awg humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest 10k 42awg humbucker?

Does anyone know where to get them? I asked GFS about their 10ks and the guy who answered didn't know. Anyone know what Epiphone's LP Special pickups are wound with? I'm chucking the magnet in any case, I only need the coils.
    Love,
    /Andy

Re: Cheapest 10k 42awg humbucker?

Seems like an odd way to decide on what to use for a pickup. Nevermind that there is more to a coil than just the wire type and resistance.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm just trying some stuff out, don't worry about it
      Last edited by DepecheMoses; 08-10-2012, 12:17 PM.
      Love,
      /Andy

Comment

the gfs crunchy pat is around that
        sigpic
        Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
        Dunlop Crybaby
        MXR Custom Comp
        GFS Twin Overdrive
        Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
        Blackstar HT-DISTX
        Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

If your intent is to learn something about a sound, know the following:

Asian factories sometimes use metric wire. Something intended to be 42AWG equivalent could actually be more like 42.5.

Someone trying to fit enough wire to read 10k DCR may be using enough tension that the wire stretches a bit. This thins it out and increases the resistance. (similar to using 42.5)

It's possible the "cheapest" 10k P.A.F. coils will give you incorrect data. The Custom Shop website says rewinding humbuckers starts at $85. That could be your cheapest way of getting something you know is 42, and you know is wound right.

Comment

Originally posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
            the gfs crunchy pat is around that
            I'm probably gonna end up trying that out. Jay himself said to check out the VEH so I might do that too, even though it's 11.2@43.

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
            If your intent is to learn something about a sound, know the following:

Asian factories sometimes use metric wire. Something intended to be 42AWG equivalent could actually be more like 42.5.

Someone trying to fit enough wire to read 10k DCR may be using enough tension that the wire stretches a bit. This thins it out and increases the resistance. (similar to using 42.5)

It's possible the "cheapest" 10k P.A.F. coils will give you incorrect data. The Custom Shop website says rewinding humbuckers starts at $85. That could be your cheapest way of getting something you know is 42, and you know is wound right.
            Whoa, thanks, that's very informative!! I never thought about that but it makes perfect physical sense.
            Love,
            /Andy

Comment

PATB-3 is sorta close... ~9.60K But I guess it's not what you are after, due to the looks and all...

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Try to find a used Suhr SSV+
                -
                Austin
                "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

Highorder Maximus. Under $80 last time I checked.

Comment

Used DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF, Duncan Brobucker.

Comment

Working...
                    X