SDUGF Pickup Final: Who's In?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDUGF Pickup Final: Who's In?

The polls are done and all has been decided.

Using the words of KeeperOS, we present to the kind folks at Seymour Duncan, the pickup we have come up with as a group.

Our pickup is a humbucker primarily intended for the neck but with the option for a matched set where, one coil being a Hawkbucker/Diablo type blade, the other a Parallel Axis one. There will not be a screened logo on the bobbins to allow for any placement direction or position.

The tone is intended to be medium hotness, open and crunchy and primarily focused on versatility. EQ-wise there'll be a focus on the upper mids with the primary aim being good articulation and definition, even under heavy gain.

Some have expressed a special interest that when split it should go into an open and airy and harmonically rich lesser output tone. It should not be boomy nor have shrill high end.

We have decided as a group to let MJ and Seymour decide what magnet types are best to achieve the desired tone, and to decide whether the mate to this pickup will be a higher powered model for the bridge, or a lower powered to work as a neck in the event that this one is to be used as a bridge model.

Knowing that there is a minimum for each type, I'd like to ask that the individual users can request standard or tremolo spacing to suit their needs.

Thank you!
    www.lockwireguitars.com

Re: SDUGF Pickup. Evan, this ones for you to read!

Please !!!
    Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
    Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

Wow. It finally got there! It sounds surprisingly cool.

Comment

Coooool!

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I'm extremely excited right now, price dependent I am planning to order at least two, perhaps eve three, a set plus an additional neck, to be used in Floyd-equipped guitars.

Here's hoping for the very best!!!
          Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
          I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
          Originally posted by That90'sGuy
          Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I am really excited about the following part:

"We have decided as a group to let MJ and Seymour decide what magnet types are best to achieve the desired tone, and to decide whether the mate to this pickup will be a higher powered model for the bridge, or a lower powered to work as a neck in the event that this one is to be used as a bridge model."

B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Cool I'll be in for at least 1 set and a couple of neck models

Comment

To use the poll results themselves as a sort of "spec sheet:"

1. humbucker
                2. dual coil, neck position
                3. one coil parallel axis, one coil blade
                4. moderate and tasty, voiced for versatility
                5. open and Crunchy, focus on upper mids
                6. Hawkbucker style blade
                7. logos...no definitive choice by voters.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'm definitely down for at least a set. More than likely 2 or 3.
                  -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                  I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

....and reasonably priced please !!
                    Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
                    Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

Originally posted by GregJr View Post
                      That's a nice thought but really, there's no way it's not going to be pricey. It's a custom run from one of the heaviest hitters in the industry.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GregJr View Post
                          If you are expecting a regular production price then I suggest you forget about getting one. This kind of thing would cost 160 normally, and other manufactures either CAN'T do it, WON'T do it, or would charge 200-250 a pop. They've always gave a price break in the past to the forum members. There is no need to be crass about it.
                          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I might be in for a neck model. It depends on how much cash I have sitting around when school starts up.
                            Last edited by youngthrasher9; 08-13-2012, 12:29 AM. Reason: I Fing hate autocorrect.
                            My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                            Originally posted by CTN
                            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                            FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Golly Gee fellas... isn't this design going to take some prototypes and significant work to achieve everything that y'all want out of it? I would have been fine with something simple that didn't take so much work on behalf of the custom shop. You guys know best though.

It sure is gonna be a sort of "different" looking pickup, thats for sure.
                              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Working...
                              X