Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet swap mishap in a neck p-rail

i removed the rail-side magnet but i forgot which side was up
    should the 2 magnets in a p-rail have both north and south facing the same direction?
    actually, that makes the most sense to me
    i just want to be sure

also, so i now need to re-flow the wax?
    good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Re: Magnet swap mishap in a neck p-rail

Originally posted by Snoogles View Post
    i removed the rail-side magnet but i forgot which side was up
    should the 2 magnets in a p-rail have both north and south facing the same direction?
    actually, that makes the most sense to me
    i just want to be sure

also, so i now need to re-flow the wax?
    what the heck?
    these bar magnets have a direction length-wise as well?
    good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

can someone tell me which diagram is correct

good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Generally P90's have two magnets opposing each other with the poles in the center. That means the configuration would either be N/S-p-S/N or S/N-p-N/S.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
          Generally P90's have two magnets opposing each other with the poles in the center. That means the configuration would either be N/S-p-S/N or S/N-p-N/S.
          ok, i have 1 magnet still in the pickup
          how would i determine how to orient the other magnet?
          if i put the loose magnet on the bottom of the base plate, it will stick to the other magnet. so that would indicate the the North of the loose magnet is attracting to the south of the installed magnet.
          so the way the loose magnet is oriented while sticking to the bottom of the base plate, underneath the installed magnet would be the way it would go into the pickup

Last edited by Snoogles; 08-12-2012, 06:43 PM.
          good deals with:

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

neither.

it's oriented the other way.

Comment

Convoy's diagram is correct. And you would be correct, because, if the magnets attract when one is on top of the other, that means that the poles are N-S on the bottom mag and S-N on the top mag (or vice versa). Keep the top magnet's orientation and just slide it into place. This should leave you with N-S...S-N and the magnets are opposing each other.

It's a good idea to mark the North edge of all your magnets with a permanent marker so you don't get the polarity mixed up in the future. Also label what type it is (A2, A3, A4, etc.) on the top.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Convoy's diagram is correct.
                No, it's not. It's correct for the bridge P-Rail, and other humbuckers, but the neck P-Rail is RW/RP so that the P90's hum cancel and the rails hum cancel. The OP should have NORTH facing inward.

Comment

Ahh, you are so right. I forgot about that regarding the neck P-Rail. I was just thinking generalities. And directly responding to the OP's question in post #6.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X