Custom/Pearly Gates.What pots/mags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom/Pearly Gates.What pots/mags?

Just got an Agile 3100..This is my first set neck guitar, so I have a few questions..I searched a few threads on these guitars, and pickups, but still have a few questions..

1. I own both a Custom Custom bridge, and a Pearly Gates neck..What is the best magnet to make my CC. a Custom?

2. What value pots will be best? I've heard of guys using 300k's with the Custom. I was actually thinking of picking up one of these 50s style harnesses. Any experience with them?http://jonesyblues.com/Order_Wiring_Page_2.html

3. Do the Pearly Gates mids make it twangy in a Les Paul? My goal is to have a nice punchy Rock to Metal tone in the bridge, and a smooth, fluid tone in the neck..

4. How much does adding covers affect the tone of theses pickups? Will it tame some high end in the bridge?

Any advice/opinions will be appreciated..Thanks.

Re: Custom/Pearly Gates.What pots/mags?

Hi there hendrixsrat.
    To answer your first question to turn the CC into a duncan custom you want a ceramic magnet.
    2. Well pots are kinda a personal preference. For myself I use 500k pots for the neck pu and 250k for the bridge. Also I prefer linear for the vol and audio for the tone. I just switched to 50's style wiring and I'm really liking it. You should try it. If you do I would recommend trying a .010uf capacitor for the neck tone and a .022uf for the bridge. The reason for different value pots is the 500k are brighter and allow more highs to come through for the neck which on IMO all dual humbucker need and the 250 for the bridge to help tame some high end treble (personal preference). Sorry no experience with jonesyblues.
    3. Does ZZ Top sound twangy? No. You can try experimenting with different mags like A5, and A8 (alot of folks here like the A8) for the bridge. Supposedly the D.C. is SD's take on early Van Halen tone (not 100% positive about that). PGn is ONE of the best neck pu there is.
    4. Adding covers can ever so slightly tame some high end.
    Last edited by big kurka; 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

Here's my thought....it's a little unorthodox.

TRY the pickups on the guitar before switching everything around and making mongrel pickups.
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

In my Strat with the PG neck and Duncan Custom bridge, I went with 500K pots for all. And .02 tone caps. I like Sprague Orange Drop caps. So does Jol Dantzig, founder and designer if Hamer Guitars. Here's some good tips from Jol: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...irt_Cheap.aspx

Comment

Thanks B.K, and Gypsy..That article was a good read..

Comment

Working...
          X