Cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap question

I posted this on another forum, but hoping I get a few answers before I make my final decision.

I am having my SE 245 pups changed to the jb/59 and upgrading the pots and caps. At least I think it's an upgrade .

My first time having a guitars pups changed , etc, and I will be having this done tomorrow ( Tuesday) , so just want to check and see if I am making the right choice with the orange drops. I can still change to another size.

The way I understand it, the .047 is more of a dramatic change as you turn the tone knob down, vs the .022 and smaller, more of the highs and some mids roll off. I am not sure if I am making the right choice .

Any advice ?

Thanks

Jerry

Re: Cap question

Orange drops are good. No need to spend more. .022 is a good place to start. If you find that you lose more upper mids/highs than you want with the .022, then you could try .015 or even .010. If the .022 doesn't remove enough or the upper mids for your taste, then you can try putting in the .047.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Think of the tone cap as a filter. .01, .02 & .047 all allow the highest treble frequencies to be eliminated and passed to ground when you turn the tone control down. When the tone control is turned down the .01 will block the most mids from passing to ground so they'll still be audible and in your audio signal while eliminating the highest the treble frequencies...the .02 will allow some mids to pass to ground and be elinimated along with the treble...the .047 will allow the most mids to pass to ground and be eliminated along with the treble. If you want to retain the most mids in your signal when you turn the the tone control down use .02 or .01. .02 is what I use.
      Last edited by Gypsyblue; 08-13-2012, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsyblue View Post
          Think of the tone cap as a filter. .01, .02 & .047 all allow the highest treble frequencies to be eliminated and passed to ground when you turn the tone control down. When the tone control is turned down the .01 will block the most mids from passing to ground so they'll still be audible and in your audio signal while eliminating the highest the treble frequencies...the .02 will allow some mids to pass to ground and be elinimated along with the treble...the .047 will allow the most mids to pass to ground and be eliminated along with the treble. If you want to retain the most mids in your signal when you turn the the tone control down use .02 or .01. .02 is what I use.
          Agreed. And you can go even lower, like .0047 or .0033. In one of my Strats, I have a .01 for the middle pickup and a .0047 for the neck, and it sounds great.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I decided on the .022 as a starting point. By tomorrow night, I will have my 245 SE back with new JB / 59 pups, and series parallel push pulls, along with the caps and new pots.
            Thanks again for the tips
            Jerry

Comment

You're welcome.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X