• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag swap in a custom...question for the magswap-masters here ^^

Hi Guy's.
    reflections after following these threads:

- https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=243723

- https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=244044

I have finally decided to buy the duncan custom (TB-5) and Duncan 5 (TB-14).
    They should arrive next week.
    it only remains for me to find a website where I can order a alnico magnet 8.

I went here:

and I realize that there are several choices of magnets.

It's by reading the remarks of Dvanburen that I decided to choose the Alnico 8 ... but would I really get the same sound as him?
    I mean, are there differences in quality of magnets according to the website on which the order was made​​?

should I be careful to something special ?

thanks to you all.

Re: Mag swap in a custom...question for the magswap-masters here ^^

Just make sure you choose the "Yes, magnetize" option and you'll be fine.

As for getting the same sound...it won't be the same sound, it'll be the same pickup. You might have a different guitar, amp, speaker, pedals etc. so the sound you get will be different. AddictionFX is pretty consistent with their product quality though. And if by chance you get a bad one, they're very good about replacing it with little or no charge.

Comment

you will love the TB5 custom i traded my TB12 demon for one and it is as great as the JB. I really am loving these duncan pu's so far i own a JB,DDJ and the TB-5 and all are incredible sounding. shame i only own two guitars so i guess i need to buy another for the 3rd duncan to be put in
      Excellent deals with,
      Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
      Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
      slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
      guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
      51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
      king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

I have personally only swapped one mag myself (after much fear and anxiety). It went really well, and afterwards, while it seemed pretty hard while doing it, it was actually pretty easy!

The Customs are naturachoices for swapping because you get the obvious results with an a2, Ceramic, or a5 or Custom Custom, Custom, or Custom 5.

I have never heard a real Custom 8, but there is obviously a lot of love for it hear.

I really dig my JB8. I like a JB for some things, but mostly NOT in my LP's. Had to try one years later to remember that! But an A8 really did the trick for uber Cheap! (as in free - Thanks Guitar DOc)

While I think mag swap is a great option, I still say:

#1 Do the research and get the correct pup in the first place
        #2 Learn how to REALLY adjust it
        #3 Spend some time and live with it. (more than a day!!!!!)

Then, as always, know what you need more/less of when asking about other options.

The mag swap crowd has gone a bit overboard. They really make it seam as if an A8 is the solution to every tone problem with every pup.

Still, I think it is a fantastic option, and really easy to do.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I love mag swapping, but I'm not one who feels the A8 is the solution to every problem. I love the UOA5 in the C/59 or Demon/Custom hybrid, and love the A2 in a Distortion. That being said, I DO love the A8 in the Custom pup (C8) and in the '59.

ACE...You're welcome for the A8. Glad I could help you out.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            The mag swap crowd has gone a bit overboard. They really make it seam as if an A8 is the solution to every tone problem with every pup.
            Ace, this is simply NOT true.

Every magnet has its place in every context.

The majority asking for mag help belong to the heavier side of things, that's why you see the A8 quite often mentioned, as it most probably is the best sounding option for the task ahead.

Horses for courses!

Comment

so Guy's , thanks for your answers.. il will make an A8 mag in my new TB-5 Custom, with the help of Kojak

i get so many questions about mag swap. juste because it's something new that is interesting to me.
              I know many things about sounds, buty mag swap is just something very special.

there are so many thing to know, to consider.
              I have read that we could change the screws, cut the screws, make hybrids etc. .... and at the same time change the magnets.

I want to interest a little more, to die less stupid.
              How do I know what to do to have a particular sound?

i read in an old german seymour duncan , that the coil thickness is important to get a particular sound, the coils wounding too. And naturally,

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post
                there are so many thing to know, to consider.
                I have read that we could change the screws, cut the screws, make hybrids etc. .... and at the same time change the magnets.

You're putting the horse before the cart.

Use the search function and read the literally THOUSANDS of threads on mag swapping, different sound of different magnets. Look for posts from our own blueman335.

You have to do one thing at the time. Get the magnet, change it, then wait a couple of days before passing judgement on the outcome. Play with the height until you find the "sweet spot". Then the honeymoon period starts. Use it a whole month, THEN carefully listen to it to see if that's what you need. Don't forget to EQ your rig in function of the p'up. Changing the magnet in a p'up is just like getting a whole new p'up. Forget about the importance of the wind, the wire, etc, as you don't have any control over those. JUST FOCUS ON THE TASK AHEAD.

HTH,

Comment

+1.

One step at a time.

Mag swapping is a great place to start, but just learn about the effects of the different mags on tone and feel for now. There's lots to learn about that and it's fun to experiment with different mags and to see first-hand what effect they have. Have fun with your new addiction.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X