banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Shred Neck & Bridge in an Ibanez RG, middle pickup suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Shred Neck & Bridge in an Ibanez RG, middle pickup suggestions?

I ordered a set of Full Shred sh-10 pickups 2 days ago intended to be put into my Ibanez, the model is the RG350DXL, this is the 1st guitar that i've planned to install these pickups into, and I don't want to leave the stock Ibanez INFS3 pickup in it because I feel like it won't work well with the full shreds, I was thinking of using some of the Dimarzio models like the Fast track 2 or a Chopper, anyone else have some better suggestions?

Re: Full Shred Neck & Bridge in an Ibanez RG, middle pickup suggestions?

FT2 may be too hot for the middle position. You'll probably only use the middle PuP for clean stuff or in conjunction with the neck for slightly dirty stuff. Seems like the True Velvet is a popular choice...or the new Injector.
    Gear:
    -Caparison TAT Frozen Sky
    -Ibanez RG550 Heather Blue w/Maple board
    Amps:
    -Engl Screamer
    -Peavey XXX
    Cabinet
    -VHT FB 4x12
    Effects:
    -TS-9 w/chaos mod, MXR 10 band, ISP Decimator, PW Tuner

Comment

depends on what you're looking for. all the pups you are talking about should have 4-con wire so that you can put them in split or parallel mode for nicer tones when on a clean amp setting. the FT2 could be a great middle position option, as the Super Disortion S - depending on what you're looking for. there's also the Hot Rail and the JB Jr, which are similar although the JB Jr has a bit more highs.

if you want a straight ahead single coil tone in there that is noiseless, check out the STK-S4. it has 3-con wiring and in your Ibby with a 5-way you can get some groovy tones with it in the middle of 2 hums.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
        depends on what you're looking for. all the pups you are talking about should have 4-con wire so that you can put them in split or parallel mode for nicer tones when on a clean amp setting. the FT2 could be a great middle position option, as the Super Disortion S - depending on what you're looking for. there's also the Hot Rail and the JB Jr, which are similar although the JB Jr has a bit more highs.

if you want a straight ahead single coil tone in there that is noiseless, check out the STK-S4. it has 3-con wiring and in your Ibby with a 5-way you can get some groovy tones with it in the middle of 2 hums.
        Thanks for the recommendations, and since I already have the full shreds to play with my amp's gain settings, in the middle I think i'll want something more bluesy and clean, so I will take a look at the STK-S4, and when you say in between the two hums you mean wiring them for split coils?

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
          FT2 may be too hot for the middle position. You'll probably only use the middle PuP for clean stuff or in conjunction with the neck for slightly dirty stuff. Seems like the True Velvet is a popular choice...or the new Injector.
          Thanks for the help, i'll look up all of these pickups that you guys recommend, I hope that Youtube has some good sound demos of them.

Comment

A Duckbucker or Area51 would work well to give some 2/4 position funkiness.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post

I looked around at all of the models listened to lots of youtube sound tests with different styles and amp settings and I think I am leaning towards a hot rails, i'll let you know what I decide on, thanks again for all of the help and suggestions everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X