Advice for replacement pickup please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for replacement pickup please

I have a charvel pro mod and it comes stock with a jb '59 combo. i like the the overall tone of the jb but its to high output for my tastes , any suggestions for a lower output replacement ?

Re: Advice for replacement pickup please

Originally posted by Marsh View Post
    I have a charvel pro mod and it comes stock with a jb '59 combo. i like the the overall tone of the jb but its to high output for my tastes , any suggestions for a lower output replacement ?
    How much lower...? If it's just a little bit, the '59/Custom Hybrid would be the answer, and for even lower output (PAF territory), the '59 bridge would be the logic answer.

Well?

Comment

im not a huge fan of the '59 in the bridge and i have yet to try the '59/custom hybrid,is it really bright like the 59 or is it a little warmer ? i was also thinking a '78 possibly, your thoughts ?

Comment

warmer and 78????
        quite the opposite...

Comment

Try an A2 in your JB first.....should soften the attack.....

Comment

This sounds like a job for the Custom Custom! Or perhaps an A2P. I'm feeling an A2 mag bridge pup for you sir.

And in this case, I have to endorse the mag swap as well. But how far down does the A2 take the JB in output?
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Big fan of the 78 here. It'd be a great choice. Disregard that internet nonsense about it being an overly bright pickup. (I really wonder if the guys who say things like that can actually play guitar to professional standards or if they're just amateurs with lousy amps, and just parroting something they read online written by another inexperienced player!) It's an alnico 2 paf style pickup wound to around 9K. Alnico 2 humbuckers tend to have smoother highs and more mids than alnico 4 or 5 or ceramic magnet pickups.
              Last edited by Gypsyblue; 08-14-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsyblue View Post
                Big fan of the 78 here. It'd be a great choice. Disregard that internet nonsense about it being an overly bright pickup. (I really wonder if the guys who say things like that can actually play guitar to professional standards or if they're just amateurs with lousy amps, and just parroting something they read online written by another inexperienced player!) It's an alnico 2 paf style pickup wound to around 9K. Alnico 2 humbuckers tend to have smoother highs and more mids than alnico 4 or 5 or ceramic magnet pickups.
                Thanks for the info

Comment

I would also suggest the '78. The Pro Mods are a single 500K pot for volume and the '78 sounds great with it. The '78 is more of a slightly hotter PAF output, but not too far away from the JB tone family....

...I have a stock Pro Mod and one with a '78, so it isn't a hypothetical suggestion.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Working...
                  X