Wiring Help for a Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Help for a Noob

Okay. So i figured i would try to save some cash by doing my own wiring. Never done this before, but i did look up some older posts. I got a Weller 40 watt iron, 60/40 rosin core solder. I got some solder wick. And of course the parts i need. What else should i know or do i need? Also, on a strat, the ground is freaking obvious. Where does it go on a Les Paul? If the particular wiring diagram i need isn't on the sd site, where should i look?
    MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Re: Wiring Help for a Noob

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
    Okay. So i figured i would try to save some cash by doing my own wiring. Never done this before, but i did look up some older posts. I got a Weller 40 watt iron, 60/40 rosin core solder. I got some solder wick. And of course the parts i need. What else should i know or do i need?
    I like the brass scrubby metal cup thing to clean the tip.
    Water/sponge lowers the temp too much.
    Tweezers or hemostats to hold things still.
    A "heat sink" clip of some kind so I don't burn out capacitors.
    Extra wire.
    Electrical tape.

Also, on a strat, the ground is freaking obvious. Where does it go on a Les Paul?
    Typically, from one of the bridge post bushings to the control cavity, then to the back of a pot.
    Depends on the Les Paul as newer ones have PCBs and I'm not absolutely certain where those connect.
    Again, typically, there is a single drill hole from the cavity with only one wire coming out of it. That's the ground.

If the particular wiring diagram i need isn't on the sd site, where should i look?
    Guitar Electronics has a good selection of schematics.
    Guy named AshBass has a website with a bunch of Gibson wiring variations.
    I'll post when I think of more.
    MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
    Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Working...
    X