A Magnet swap Was All I Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Magnet swap Was All I Needed

I did my 1st mag swap and I am hooked. I still can't believe that a $3.00 magnet was the answer to my tone problems.

I was about to start changing pickups and speakers. It would have run me about $500.00. Instead I swapped an A2 with an A5 in my Custom Custom and wow the tone just popped in my LPC. I definitely have this forum to thank for that.

Also I changed the A5 to A2 in my Paf Pro. This made an excellent neck pickup in the same guitar.

So far the only fail I had was when I put an A5 in a 57 Classic Plus. It surprised the hell outta me. I really did not expect it to sound worse but it did. This was in my SG and it made it sound way too bright and thin. The exact opposite of what it did for the Custom Custom and I wondered why?

Does anybody here have experience with changing mags in the 57 Classic plus?

Re: A Magnet swap Was All I Needed

I think the issue is the different guitars. The SG is much thinner and thus brighter than the Les Paul Custom. I know a lot of the guys swear by A8 mags in SGs since it adds a little beef and balance to them.

Comment

Re: A Magnet swap Was All I Needed

I'd like to try the A8. I'm just not thrilled with the A2 mag when the crunch is on. It does sound nice when playing clean though. Oh well, looks like another addiction-fx purchase is in order. I'll pick up a couple other mags while I'm at it.

Comment

Working...
      X