Help Selecting a Bridge Pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Selecting a Bridge Pup

Any help deciding on a brige pickup would be appreciated! I'm leaning toward a Duncan Custom....

I've recently bought a Gibson Custom Classic that has a 57+ in the bridge. The guitar is already pretty bright, maybe a little too much for my tastes. I'd like something that's versatile with metal...and would balance the brights with a little more low end bite.

Since the Peavey head is high gain, I wasn't sure which pickup would give me a good balance.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help Selecting a Bridge Pup

The Custom would be a good choice for a PAF style tone with more output. I would be tempted to try a Alnico 8 magnet in the 57 before replacing it though. Replacement magnets are cheap.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 08-15-2012, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I would imagine there's directions online for magnet swaps? I've swapped pickups on my own, but not the magnets.

Thanks again for the great idea!

Comment

Custom is a good choice. really cool pickup. nice PAF sound. warm tone. huge low end. not boomy, just massive sounding. and has a ceramic bite that is great for metal.

if you like the custom pickup but find the ceramic too much, an A8 mag will warm it up while still keeping most of the output and low end but will round off the highs a bit

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm looking online at magnet replacement....looks pretty straightforward with some good tips on how to remove the solder joints. Only concern I have is how the pickup is potted with wax. When pulling the tape back (enough to get to the magnet), I'm afraid of displacing the wax.....should this be a concern?

Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by evand View Post
            Thanks for the help. I'm looking online at magnet replacement....looks pretty straightforward with some good tips on how to remove the solder joints. Only concern I have is how the pickup is potted with wax. When pulling the tape back (enough to get to the magnet), I'm afraid of displacing the wax.....should this be a concern?

Many thanks!
            Most of the time you do not need to repott the pickup as long as you put the cover back and it is tight. Repotting is easy if it is microphonic after a magnet swap.

Comment

idsnowdog & dvanburen, thanks again for the help. Ended up buying the Invader...haha. Pretty big departure from the custom, but I think I'll be happy with it. I found Bare Knuckle pickups online and really liked the Warpig....being a boutique pup from the UK, was $$$$$. Listening to the Invader, I couldn't hear too much of a difference, so I'll give it a shot. Mostly play thrash and death metal.

Comment

Working...
              X