Putting in a plug for the Stag Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting in a plug for the Stag Mag

I'd always wanted a 12 string with single coils--a Dano or Ric (if someone wanted to just hand me one), but as I prepared to buy one recently I recalled those great Zeppelin humbucker 12 string tones. I decided to try a guitar that could do both, and bought a cheap little Turser JT Hawk from a music store in eBay. It arrived with a bad bridge pickup which gave me the chance to look for something better, and something that was known for sounding good in split, single coil mode. I got the Stag Mag and am glad I did. It's a nice full, fairly bright humbucker, but the split tone is really good too. If it's thin-sounding at all, it's thin in that good Rickenbacker way. You can dial in a tone that gets you pretty darn close to Ric territory. Now I must go pull up the first Byrds album on Spotify and play along.

Re: Putting in a plug for the Stag Mag

how come there isn't a lower output neck version
    good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Thanks for the mini-review, Gary. I've got to try one sometime. Welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by Snoogles View Post
      how come there isn't a lower output neck version
      That sounds like a great idea. They could drop it down to an overall 12K, and you'd still get a split single at a nice, vintage 6K. Going below the 12K (for HB) & the split sound would suffer, I think.

Comment

you could go a little under but not much, strat neck pups can sound good at 5.8k. i have one that sounds awesome at 5.5k but its not for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          you could go a little under but not much, strat neck pups can sound good at 5.8k. i have one that sounds awesome at 5.5k but its not for everyone
          Those 5.8K Strat pickups are great as the neck pickup in a Tele. I use one with a CS Jerry Donahue.

Comment

[QUOTE=Guston7;3260705]Thanks for the mini-review, Gary. I've got to try one sometime. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! I just glanced around the room and realized that all of my non-OEM pickups are SDs, except for the EMGs in "Shredder." Alnico Pro IIs in my Tele (great!), JB & Jazz in my Les Paul, Pearly Gates Plus and 59 in my Korean Tele, the Stag Mag in my 12 string and SD90s in my all-mahogany Godin. Those are the only pickups I'm not in love with, probably because that guitar needs something a little beefier. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Garry

Comment

Working...
            X