What humbucker set splits well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What humbucker set splits well?

I want to setup a dual humbucker telecaster with splittable coils. I'm a recent Duncan convert from DiMarzio and would like to stick with the Duncan family for this guitar. I'm not very familiar with single coils and split humbuckers. I play a lot of music ranging heavy metal down to clean(ish) alternative/indie rock. I would like the bridge humbucker to be decently hot and thick for metal and hard rock. I recently put a JB in another guitar and LOVE it, and I've heard these are decent for splitting, so maybe that's an option. I want the neck pickup to be low/medium output and smooth as a humbucker (Air Norton is my favorite neck HB), but very clean and chimey as a single coil. That sounds contradictory, but I'll be content if I can find some middle ground. The telecaster has an ash body, maple neck with a rosewood board.

Some pickups I'm interested in hearing about are the Full Shred bridge, Pearly Gates bridge or neck, '59 bridge (not a fan of this in the neck), and Custom bridge. I have noticed the Stag Mags are designed to be true single coils hen split, but haven't heard much about them.

Also, some advice whether to go with dual tapping pots, or a 5-way switch would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards a 5-way with the first two positions being bridge humbucker full and split, middle being inside coils (open to suggestions here), then the last two positions being the neck humbucker full and split. I want to get most versatility from this guitar, but not necessarily needing that classic telecaster/country twang, but something that can be used as backup for metal/hard rock, and have the coils spit for lighter indie rock music, which doesn't need the most pristine cleans.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Re: What humbucker set splits well?

Here's a couple demos of the JB/Jazz set with coils split, that sounds great and would bring consistency as a backup for my other guitar that has a JB/Jazz set but but doesn't coil tap.

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/JnrMtkThe Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set is comprised of the Jazz and the JB models.

I'm also looking around at demos of the Stag Mag and P-Rails. I'm not sure how they would handle harder rock and metal, but a Stag Mag bridge and P-Rails neck could give me all kinds of versatility.

Here's dual P-Rails in a telecaster using the same amplifier I do.

This extensive demo goes through many of the tones available from the SD P-Rails, including series and parallel sounds.http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/...
    Last edited by Spaceboy; 08-16-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Take a look at the Screamin' Demon too. It splits really well. Have a look over at YouTube for a demo of it in a Yamaha Pacifica. As for neck pups, I'm very partial to the JazzN, though to be fair, I'm not much of a user of any humbucker when split.
      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
        I'm also looking around at demos of the Stag Mag and P-Rails. I'm not sure how they would handle harder rock and metal, but a Stag Mag bridge and P-Rails neck could give me all kinds of versatility.
        P-Rails neck should suit you just fine. The neck model shares some of the qualities of the Air Norton in that its thick, but still has articulation on the top end.
        Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
        I want the neck pickup to be low/medium output and smooth as a humbucker (Air Norton is my favorite neck HB), but very clean and chimey as a single coil. That sounds contradictory, but I'll be content if I can find some middle ground.
        Neck P-Rails fits that description perfectly, and it is contradictory but the fact that the two coils are so different means you can have fat HB and chimey SC tones. Just make sure you split to the Rail coil. Standard Seymour Duncan wiring will split you to the P90. It's different from other SD humbuckers in that way.

For the bridge, others can chime in here but I think the Stag Mag will leave you hanging on the HB side. JB is a good option, Alternative 8 if you want even more oomph, and 59/Custom Hybrid if you want to back off a little but still have a great bridge split tone (inside coil being the Custom coil) Or have a look at that Custom Shop forum pickup currenly in the works.

Comment

I must agree that the Stag Mag and P Rails are the best split pickups. They are designed specifically to split.

I'd say Stag Mag in the neck slot and P Rails in the bridge. Run both split normally, and kick in the extra rail on the P Rail when you want more output.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I think I'm going to get a P-Rails set and get the Duncan Triple Shot splitters to be able to select between the rails and P90s. I used to have a P90 guitar and it was a blast, so having that sound back will be great. It won't be as gnarly as the JB/Jazz, but it'll have plenty of versatility and P90s are already great for rock, the rails can only help. That video of the gentleman using splittable P-Rails with the same amplifier I play really sealed the deal for me. Thanks for all the advice!

I also saw this video of Ty Tabor playing with the P-Rails, and it sounds great for metal/hard rock.

In this private lesson with King's X guitarist Ty Tabor, learn how to play the King's X classic "Dogman." This exclusive lesson continues only at guitarworld...
            Last edited by Spaceboy; 08-17-2012, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X