Jazz in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz in the bridge?

What could I expect with a Jazz in the bridge of an alder bodied superstrat with maple/rosewood and a floyd?

Any ideas? I recently joined a band doing a MUCH wider variety of stuff than I am used to (metal) and the EMG85 doesnt work for most of it. I have a Jazz sitting here....

If that is a terrible idea, what d'you think is the way to go for an all-around pup with decent output in the bridge?

Re: Jazz in the bridge?

I've actually heard of people getting really nice tones out of a jazz in the bridge, even borderline metal if the settings are right ;D

Comment

If you're up for a mag swap, I found this on an older thread... "The jazz n in the bridge needs an Alnico 8. That makes it such am awesome pickup. Like a Seth only a bit more nasty and dirty. Very very good. At least, in my guitar, with me playing it. Can't talk for others "

Comment

Paging Jolly...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

if your want versitility `trhen go with custon/59 hybrid. or a custom. if you want versitility with metal and hard rock. go distortion

Comment

Are you talking about a Jazz N or Jazz B?

In a rosewood/alder strat, the Jazz Bridge Model is great. Really tight yet bouncy lows, neutral mids like a 59 or C5, and clean musical highs. You can always roll off high end, but in a strat with all 250K, it's just right. It's one pickup that really sounds great with a 250K pot.

The Jazz Bridge is in my top 5 of favorite strat bridge humbuckers. I also like it in the neck position with a Custom series bridge pickup like a C5, C8, or Custom.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

One interesting thing about the Jazz Bridge Model. It's one of the only pickups that sounds equally good in the bridge or neck position. It's like Duncan's median pickup....right up the middle.

If you ever see one used, just buy it. You'll be able to find a use for it somewhere in a bridge or neck position.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                Paging Jolly...
                +1. I can't think of another guy who love a Jazz set here.
                Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelous_seven View Post
                  I've been using a Jazz set since 2006.

I've tried the following mag combos:

A4n/A8b
                  A3n/UOA5b
                  A2/A2

My Gibson L-5 CES copy actually hosts the A2 modded set.

The Alnico 2 magnet should be stock in the Jazz set instead of the A5, if you ask me.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    One interesting thing about the Jazz Bridge Model. It's one of the only pickups that sounds equally good in the bridge or neck position. It's like Duncan's median pickup....right up the middle.

If you ever see one used, just buy it. You'll be able to find a use for it somewhere in a bridge or neck position.
                    I agree, but for me, the champion of bridge p'up in the neck is the Seth Lover bridge.

Both the Jazz and the Seth Lover p'ups are marvelous as neck p'ups if make an hybrid with a coil from the neck and another from the bridge. It works wonderfully with the following magnets: A2, A3, A4 and UOA5.

I would reccomend'em as a neck p'up in a 24-fretter and the SG.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                      I've been using a Jazz set since 2006.

I've tried the following mag combos:

A4n/A8b
                      A3n/UOA5b
                      A2/A2

My Gibson L-5 CES copy actually hosts the A2 modded set.

The Alnico 2 magnet should be stock in the Jazz set instead of the A5, if you ask me.

HTH,
                      I should've added "stock" after the word "Jazz set". Your name only comes when discussing A8 mag for bridge pup and A4 for neck pup combo.
                      Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                      Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                        Paging Jolly...
                        I wouldn't be of any help. I've only used them in Les Pauls.

Comment

I should've added "stock" after the word "Jazz set". Your name only comes when discussing A8 mag for bridge pup and A4 for neck pup combo.
                          That's true to a certain extent... I'd say 85%, so just look for the other 15% of my posts...

BTW, I've had a Jazz set in a LP for over two years. Couldn't live with the too sharp pick attack of the A5. Caused me "ear fatigue".

But if you put an A2, that sharp pick attack turns from "obnoxious" to "articulation". BIG difference!
                          Last edited by LtKojak; 08-19-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                            That's true to a certain extent... I'd say 85%, so just look for the other 15% of my posts...

BTW, I've had a Jazz set in a LP for over two years. Couldn't live with the too sharp pick attack of the A5. Caused me "ear fatigue".

But if you put an A2, that sharp pick attack turns from "obnoxious" to "articulation". BIG difference!
                            The fact of the matter is that this pickup is being put in a Strat. I can only assume that 250k pots are being used which should tame some of the highs.

There some players who prefer a5. I don't understand the obsession with mag swaps on this forum.
                            Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                              There some players who prefer a5.
                              Yes, there are. Almost all of them has a superstrat kind of instrument with just one p'up in the bridge.

The ones with more than one p'up, most of them change after trying other mags in their p'ups and most of them never come back.

Hell, most of them ask themselves HOW did they managed to play for so long with those stock A5...

Just saying...

PS: I do mag swap for customers since 2008; my statements derive from the actual factual outcome. It's NOT just my opinion, mind you.

Comment

Working...
                              X