Dimarzio Norton and the Duncan Custom-Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Norton and the Duncan Custom-Custom

I recently bought a Dimarzio Norton to try in my Ibanez S. I read a dozen posts that described the Norton as a JB without the high mid spike. That isn't what I'm hearing at all.

The Norton reminds me of the Custom-Custom much more than the JB. The EQ curve of the Norton sounds almost identical to the Custom Custom, but the Norton has a much harder, stiffer quality to it than the CC. If you move it way away from the strings, that hard character softens a bit, but still not as soft and round as the Custom-Custom. The Norton's mids are very aggressive like the Custom-Custom.

I'm not really sure whether it will stay there or not. I have a Paf Pro in the neck which I refuse to move, and I'm not sure the Norton has enough of the same character to mesh well with it. I'm gonna keep messing with it though, Its an interesting pickup.

Re: Dimarzio Norton and the Duncan Custom-Custom

That's 'cause the Norton and the Custom series have the same wire gauge and a very similar number of turns. The Norton is actually closer to the Custom 5 though.

The differences in the baseplates, slug alloy composition, manner in which they are wound and wire coatings are what set the the SD Custom5 and Norton apart from each other tone wise.
    Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Norton shares one coil from Fred and one from Tone Zone. The Fred itself shares one coil from Paf Pro and designed specifically, the one that's designed just for Fred is what the Norton has.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyfinger View Post
        Norton shares one coil from Fred and one from Tone Zone. The Fred itself shares one coil from Paf Pro and designed specifically, the one that's designed just for Fred is what the Norton has.
        Whoa, that's really cool! I didn't knew that. The FRED, Tone Zone and PAF Pro happen to be my all time favorite pickups. Now I have to try a Norton

Comment

The EVO to me is more JBish then other dimarzios are. Cause it has the treble and high mid spike. But the EVO is a little tighter, brighter. Never tried the EVO 2.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
            The Norton is actually closer to the Custom 5 though.
            What ? ? ? ?

They are complete polar opposites from what I can tell. The EQ curves are complete opposites, and the tone is as well. The Norton has a big mid hump, and I can't think of another pickup with more of a huge mid scoop than the Custom 5.

Comment

Originally posted by PonyKiller View Post
              Whoa, that's really cool! I didn't know that. The FRED, Tone Zone and PAF Pro happen to be my all time favorite pickups. Now I have to try a Norton
              I love the PAF pro in the right neck slot. Never tried the Fred. I am afraid it will not be fat enough in the bridge (the Paf pro isn't for me). I hate thin bridge pickups. However, the Tone Zone sounds like a wall of sludge to me. Never managed to get it to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                I love the PAF pro in the right neck slot. Never tried the Fred. I am afraid it will not be fat enough in the bridge (the Paf pro isn't for me). I hate thin bridge pickups. However, the Tone Zone sounds like a wall of sludge to me. Never managed to get it to work for me.
                AT-1 is also pretty good from what I read.

Comment

... I've always believed the DiMarzio Norton to be the PAF pup Steve Blucher "reverse engineered" for the Music Man EVH... but of course even if it is, DMZ won't ever cop to it. The Custom Custom does sound much like the Norton though, or vice versa... both offer "evenly voiced harmonics"... but the Duncan sounds more natural & organic w/ better dynamics. Would love to hear how a Custom Custom would sound as an active pup... a la Live Wires... & splittable like an EMG 89...
                  Originally posted by XSSIVE
                  2011 twittered, it wants the 80's guitar playing talent back.
                  Originally posted by formula73

@YHWH: she's not worn out, just broken IN.

Comment

I also like the Paf Pro in the neck slot. Recently, I put an A2 mag in and like it even more.

Comment

So is it a CC or a C5 guys? You can't both be right.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

All I know is that the published EQ data and my ears say that the Norton is similar to the CustomCustom, not the C5.

Comment

All I know is that the published EQ data and my ears say that the Norton is similar to the CustomCustom, not the C5.
                          I didn't mean to disagree with your ears, if they say Custom Custom, I'll have to agree.
                          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Working...
                          X