Seths or Pearly Gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seths or Pearly Gates?

I want to put one of these in the bridge of my LP. Im looking for a thick sound, but still dynamic, and versatile for a variety of genres. (pop, classic and mod rock, blues) I definitely want something with vintage output. At first I was sold on the PG's, but am now thinking they may have too aggressive hi/mids. This leads me to believe I might like the Seths better. From sound clips the seths definatley sound thicker, but dont want to go too far to the other end of the spectrum. Can anyone compare the two? Thanks.

Re: Seths or Pearly Gates?

To me, the biggest diff is that the PG's have 4 conductor cable and no cover. Having no cover will make a humbucker a little brighter. I have never heard the PG's as having aggressive mids - I think that's what some people expect and so they assume they hear that quality. But I've never heard the PG's as being anything other than a great alnico 2 paf style pickup.

The Seths are also an alnico 2 paf style humbucker but have standard cable and do have a nickel cover.

Comment

The PGs are more aggressive sounding, more low mids and edgy highs compared to the Seths. Seths are mellower, they do thicken up when the gain goes up & you dig in. Both fine pups, I lean towards the Seth end of the spectrum these days, but in the right guitar the PGs can be special.

Comment

Seths.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks for the comparisons. I think I'm leaning more towards the Seths. It sounds like the PG's have a great voice, but for a more specific sound, were the Seths can be more versatile.

Comment

Yes, the Pearly Gates have their unique voice, but that does not mean they cannot be versatile. I've been using a set in a LP that have nickle covers, 500k pots, and .022 caps. I find that as the volume is reduced the sweeter side of this pickup is revealed. Seth's are great too, put the Pearly has a growl when the volume is turned up that the Seth doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint Stone View Post
              Yes, the Pearly Gates have their unique voice, but that does not mean they cannot be versatile. I've been using a set in a LP that have nickle covers, 500k pots, and .022 caps. I find that as the volume is reduced the sweeter side of this pickup is revealed. Seth's are great too, put the Pearly has a growl when the volume is turned up that the Seth doesn't have.
              That's the way I use the PG's. With covers, 500K pots and .02 caps. I also do the 50's mod: I connect the tone control to the middle terminal (the output) of the volume pot. In that form, covered, the PG's are my favorite non-custom shop Duncan humbuckers.

Comment

I've got guitars setup with both, but my favorite combo is still the Brobucker/PGn.

One of the closest Duncans to the Brobucker is the C/59 Hybrid.

Go for a really cool Les Paul set like the C/59/Pgn. I doubt you'll regret it, and you'll likely enjoy it more than either a PG or Seth set.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X