SD pup for Sterling JP50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD pup for Sterling JP50

I was wondering if you guys could help me pick a a good pup combo to go in my sterling by musicman jp50. The stock humbuckers are okay but I want to upgrade them to some SD's. Im not a huge fan of dimarzio's and I have a SD distortion in my tele custom and that sounds great.

I need something in the bridge that can handle everything from hard rock to super heavy stuff (like djent). I was thinking another distortion but it can sometimes seem a little shrill and Im not sure how it will sound in a basswood body.

In the neck i want something that will give me really good cleans and smooth lead tones.

I play almost all styles of music so I want it to be versatile, but as I said a good hard rock/metal tone is the main objective.

Im also thinking of getting white ones as I think they look pretty cool!

I play through a (new) Laney LH50, orange open back 2x12 with a tc nova system in front of the amp.

Re: SD pup for Sterling JP50

There's nothing wrong with prog metal. haha

But djent isn't my main concern, just a really good quality high output pickup thats going to give me a good heavy tone, and sit well with a basswood body.

I would but the crunch lab is just REALLY LOUD and dimarzios don't seem to have the same natural sound and saturation that you get from seymour duncans.
    Last edited by NJC; 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Crunchlab loud? I have a Crunchlab/Liquifier combo in my RG 470, and it's not louder or hotter than most. It's very balanced, which is why I assume JP loves it. I -love- the Crunchlab because of the clarity all the way down to power chords, and it djents well.

Not to say there isn't a SD option, but the Crunchlab/Liquifier really turns that Sterling into something closer to a standard JP model. If you're not going for that sound and bought the guitar because it was a good deal or you like the playability/whatever, and you think the Crunchlab is too loud, why not go JB/Jazz?
      SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
      Mi Familia

Comment

I've seen on a few forums that people find it loud. The other thing is that dimarzios are a lot more expensive and harder to get a hold of in the UK than SD. But maybe I should just invest in the pickups that JP uses.

I had thought of the distortion/jazz combo. I hear JB's really don't like basswood haha

Comment

How many of those posts were from people that had the blade towards the bridge? That's the key, and something I researched before buying them. You can install the pickup either way, and it definitely sounds louder with the blade towards the bridge (and you get a little bit closer to that ice pick sound), but I (along with most people and JP himself) leave it with blade towards the neck, and it's perfectly balanced IMO.

I could probably give or take the Liquifier; Don't get me wrong, it's great, and it's cleans are especially amazing. You can get some nice pinch harmonics out of it too, it just seems... I guess safe is the word I'd use. It didn't automatically wow my pants off like the Crunchlab did, but I certainly don't dislike it. I'm not getting that mystical JP tone out of my leads, but that could be my own gear/settings shortcomings.
          SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
          Mi Familia

Comment

They didn't say but that could be why. I was originally going to just get a black crunchlab and leave the stock neck pup as it's not too bad, alot better than stock bridge, but i wanted something different. Wondered if anyone had any experience with seymour duncans in this type of guitar.

Comment

It's a solid guitar; Really well built, under the radar player that instantly benefits from a good set of pickups, and that is really just dependent on the sound you want. If you wanted a similar Duncan, I think your best options are some of the more expensive (comparable in price to the Crunchlab, at least in the states) stuff like the SH-6 and the Alternate-8. Alternate-8 sounds great to my ears.

It's just really hard to pinpoint without actually trying some pups. We can get you in the ballpark, which I think for your money is going to be somewhere between the SH-6 and Alternate-8. I really like the Dimebucker too, and that's not to say I'm a huge Pantera or Dimebag fan, but the pickup when dialed in to preference can really give you what you want in a high gain bridge.
              Mi Familia

Comment

yeah, its a great guitar. luckily it was introduced while i was searching ebay for the old OLP JP guitar. Yeah the SH-6 (TB-6) distortion was my first choice as I have that in telecaster custom. not a huge fan of the dimebucker. Anybody tried the SD custom in basswood guitar??

Comment

Working...
                X