banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I convert my pickup cavity to direct mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I convert my pickup cavity to direct mount?

Inspired the thread above, I wanna try it for myself. I want to convert regular ring mounted humbuckers to direct mounted ones. The guitar will be this:

Don't worry it's not uber-expensive, so if things don't work out, I can always hope to go back to ring mounts without feeling the heart-ache of ruining a $3000 axe. This axe is a keeper for sure, because I finally found pickup combination that works.

Now I could try it myself to mount it and learn as I go along, but I would appreciate any tips, pictures for reference, or how to guides if you have to make it look clean and nice as possible.

I would also have to lower the bridge flushed to the body to compensate for the height right?

Thanks.

Re: How do I convert my pickup cavity to direct mount?

You'll have to plug the smaller holes that allow for the height adjustment screws, since that's where the mounting screws for the pickups will go.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
      You'll have to plug the smaller holes that allow for the height adjustment screws, since that's where the mounting screws for the pickups will go.
      So it's painless as that? No routing? Or strapping wood () or shims to the bottom for support? What about the bridge, do I need to lower it? Thanks.

Comment

I'd probably just use a screw that would allow me to mount the pickup down through the wood.

Comment

what type of guitar is that ?

it's beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by post toastie View Post
            what type of guitar is that ?

it's beautiful.
            Thanks. It's a DBZ Bolero (similar to Dean Soltero), designed by Dean Zelinsky. It's mahogany with flamed maple top in trans wine finish. The neck is also mahogany with ebonised rosewood (stained to look line ebony). The neck profile is soft v. MIK. It's warm and articulate, I enjoy playing it.

Last edited by lazyfinger; 08-23-2012, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Depending on the guitars pickup routes you may just get away with long screws? thats what i did,just be sure if your guitar has a trem to not go through to the trem cavity with the screw!
              Excellent deals with,
              Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
              Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
              slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
              guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
              51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
              king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Originally posted by SAVAGE DISTORTION View Post
                Depending on the guitars pickup routes you may just get away with long screws? thats what i did,just be sure if your guitar has a trem to not go through to the trem cavity with the screw!
                c'mon now! Now who's guilty of not reading the thread? There's even a picture of the instrument on top. It's all TOM hardtail baby!

Comment

Originally posted by lazyfinger View Post
                  c'mon now! Now who's guilty of not reading the thread? There's even a picture of the instrument on top. It's all TOM hardtail baby!
                  Got me! I have a bad habit of skimming threads sorry
                  Excellent deals with,
                  Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                  Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                  slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                  guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                  51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                  king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Originally posted by SAVAGE DISTORTION View Post
                    Got me! I have a bad habit of skimming threads sorry

It's cool! We all do that here sometimes. It was funny though.

Comment

I'm not sure how deep the existing cavity goes, but I've long had the thought that a piece of 1/4" ply shaped to fit the cavity could be screwed down in the centre, then the pickup mounted to that. If necessary, you could shim the height using a washer or two.

To me that sounds a better idea than running the risk of putting a screw through the back of the guitar using the existing cavity.
                      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I've done this recently.
                        You need a firm base plate the size of the pickup.
                        The base plate mounts in the middle of cavity between the screw recesses.
                        The pickup legs are screwed to the holes in base plate with regular #3-48 screws.
                        You can make it fancy and use a correct tap to cut the thread in the base plate holes.

Comment

Working...
                        X