59 for metal tested then bmp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 for metal tested then bmp

so i recently acquired a tb-59 and a blackout modular preamp. i have always been curious about a 59 doing metal so i tried it first by its self. guitar used was a jackson sl-1. maple neckthru alder body ebony board floyd rose.

i was initially woried about this pup being shrill in this guitar. however it was suprisingly warm. bottom end was tight but round. mids were a bit scooped but not totally. highs were clear and cutting but not harsh or peircing.

so anyways my verdict on if the 59 can do super heavy metal..... yes. however not my first choice. its a bit to warm and nice for my likeing.

so now we hook it up to a blackout modular preamp. output of course was boosted. the lows became bigger and tighter. midrange came up a bit and really roared. highs were about the same. it was a big fat warm high gain tone. still to nice and warm.

next step was swapping the A5 for a small ceramic magnet.

oh boy now that was a good sound. imagine the midrange of the distortion with the lows (but tighter) and highs (but a bit warmer) of the custom.

this thing really rips and grinds and is not harsh at all. fantastic clarity. great pick attack.

the thing that surprised me most was the dynamics and headroom. it would pickup my subtle picking on bluesy type of licks and no matter how hard i hit it never clipped out or limited my signal. my ears can honestly not tell that this is a active system.

the clean tones are some of the best i have heard from a high output bridge pickup warm and thick. roll the volume back and a little bit of the tone control and you really get some awsome classic rock and blues sounds.

so not only is this setup brutal as all get out but it is also extremly versitile.

all in all seymour makes fantastic products at a affordable price and thats why i love them.

Re: 59 for metal tested then bmp

coool!

Comment

I would also like to add that you rock guys that love that pat tone but want somethimg too really smack your preamp the stock 59 with a bmp is a great option

Comment

I've kinda wondered how the BMP would sound on my 78, I would need a switch to go between active and passive though, I love my 78.

Thanks again Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
          I've kinda wondered how the BMP would sound on my 78, I would need a switch to go between active and passive though, I love my 78.

Thanks again Steve.
          It would make it hotter and beefier in. The lows and mids. Like a good
          Woman really

Comment

LOL

Comment

It seems like people keep having success with lower output pickups that, on their own, would be too shrill, but with the bmp are perfect. Like a 59 with ceramic, or a Distortion neck in the bridge, or a humbucker from hell, etc.

Comment

Yeah that cause it really adds a lot of beefing

Comment

So what you have discovered is something that's been around since 1986. A Jackson J50BC with a JE-1200 preamp. Doesn't that Alexi dude love those?

Comment

The BMP happens to be completely unrelated to the JE-1200. They are nothing alike at all. But sure, a vintage output pickup with a battery powered preamp has been around for a long time I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      So what you have discovered is something that's been around since 1986. A Jackson J50BC with a JE-1200 preamp. Doesn't that Alexi dude love those?
                      Kinda smartelic don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                      X