This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap alternative to Lundgren M6?

Hello! I'm new to this forum, and I really need your help.

I'm in search for a bridge humbucker for my stratocaster (HSS, ash body, maple neck, maple fingerboard, 250k volume, 250k no-load tone). My current gear is Marshall JCM1H, and a cheap Vox Cab with a single chinese Greenback copy.

I will be using the pickup for progressive/math-metal (Dream Theater; Meshuggah, Periphery etc) and hard rock (Black Label Society/Pride & Glory, GnR/Velvet Revolver).

I am looking for:
    High-Output. A little mid-heavy (think Low/Mid/High as 6/8/5). Clear even when using low tunings (BGDAEB for example). Not fizzy. Low price (<130$)

After some research I realised that a Lundgren M6 might be a good choice but there are things that put me off: 1) Price is insane 2) Long waiting time 3) They don't come in white. Are there any pickups that are close to Lundgren in terms of sound but with a lower price tag? Or maybe you can suggest something even better?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Cheap alternative to Lundgren M6?

Please, help me!

Comment

Most of us probably aren't that familiar with the M6-I know I'm not! That said, are you sure about that eq? Low tunings and high gain go pretty well with a bright pup, like a Distortion or Full Shred.

Comment

Anything in the M6's league is not going to be cheap. Your best bet is to find an M6 used. I think I may have an extra one but it's black and I'm not sure if it's 2 conductor or 4 conductor.

Let me know what you need if you're interested.

Comment

If you think you want the M6 you want something pretty bright dude. Spec wise the Duncan distortion neck is really close to the M6, might be worth a shot. I've seen a few comparisons to the full shred too. I would look into the screamin' demon, DDn, and the dimarzio Steve Morse bridge for that type of sound. All of these would only seem useful to me personally for super low tunings, I mean A and lower.

Comment

Thanks!
            What about an Alternative 8? Looks like it's high output and can stay clear when tuning low.

Comment

Maybe a dimArzio d activator

Comment

Lundgren needs to make a pickup called the 'Dolph'
                Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to use an Alt8 for B tunings, but it's the other way from what you're looking at with an M6, much warmer & thicker with more emphasis on the lows and midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by terribleguitar View Post
                    Hello! I'm new to this forum, and I really need your help.

I'm in search for a bridge humbucker for my stratocaster (HSS, ash body, maple neck, maple fingerboard, 250k volume, 250k no-load tone). My current gear is Marshall JCM1H, and a cheap Vox Cab with a single chinese Greenback copy.

I will be using the pickup for progressive/math-metal (Dream Theater; Meshuggah, Periphery etc) and hard rock (Black Label Society/Pride & Glory, GnR/Velvet Revolver).

I am looking for:
                    High-Output. A little mid-heavy (think Low/Mid/High as 6/8/5). Clear even when using low tunings (BGDAEB for example). Not fizzy. Low price (<130$)

After some research I realised that a Lundgren M6 might be a good choice but there are things that put me off: 1) Price is insane 2) Long waiting time 3) They don't come in white. Are there any pickups that are close to Lundgren in terms of sound but with a lower price tag? Or maybe you can suggest something even better?

Thanks in advance!
                    (this is all second hand so feel free to disregard but,) I hear the M6 is really meant for those 7 string low Bb tunings, and is very fuzzy on a normal scale strat/6 string. You might be better off with something like the BKP Painkiller, but that isn't exactly going to be cheaper either.

From SD, I think the Alternate 8 is a great choice. It's not the eq setting you describe. For the bands you listed, you probably want something maybe tamer, or were those just generic examples? I always like to recommend the Dimebucker, because with the right other gear you can certainly dial it in to just about everything, and I just love its bite. I'm not a Dimebag or Pantera fan, per say, but I think it's got a killer sound. You could probably even try a Full Shred, Distortion, or (any variation of the) Custom.

Really (and semi-unfortunately) it's going to come down to making a snap decision, trying it out in your setup with your ears/technique/settings and seeing what you like. I wish there was a shop that carried all the pickups you could imagine, and had floor models so to speak, so you can keep trying until you find the one you really like...
                    SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
                    Mi Familia

Comment

I play the same style and I ordered an SH6 recently; I'll tell you how it goes ;D

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I've bought a SH-6. Will install it tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who helped me choose the right pickup.

Comment

Working...
                          X