Pickup recommendation for old Schecter strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendation for old Schecter strat

A friend of mine has one of those old (early-mid 80s) Schecter strats. Similar to the one Mark Knopfler used a lot. It has maple neck and mahogany body.

Currently the stock pickups are in it. F500 I think they are called. As good as they sound, they are very powerful, and my friend is considering swapping them for something more traditional.

What kind of pickups would you recommend for those woods? My friend plays mostly clean (country, "Mark Knopfler") and uses sometimes light overdrive. I'm a bit confused because the guitar doesn't fall into the ash/maple or alder/rosewood categories.

Re: Pickup recommendation for old Schecter strat

im sorry but is this a three single coil type guitar? im not familiar with it.

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, SSS. It's similar to this one:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Come to think of it now, I know Mark Knopfler changed his PUs for SSL-1s and then to APS-1s, so I guess either of those will be fine.

Comment

yup. love both of those. i actually usually prefer the ssl2 or aps2 flat variety but there is a very subtle difference. the antiquity II surfers are fantastic too, i have a trio of vintage wind surfers in a tokai strat (no hotter bridge) and ive been loving the sounds im getting

Comment

So where would you place a guitar with the said wood combination (maple neck, mahogany body) in relation to ash/maple and alder/rosewood in terms of tone, sound, brightness, etc.? Maybe the bright full maple neck offsets the darker mahogany body and makes it closer to a alder/rosewood guitar?

Comment

Working...
            X