JB vs. Custom vs. 59/Custom hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs. Custom vs. 59/Custom hybrid?

Antone care to provide some feedback on what each would produce in a good Les Paul? I am installing a Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set into my SG ancd tend to like thick mids and medium to high output pickups. I like chewy and touch sensitive and thick, of so thick!

I am installing a Brobucker into my McCarty, Rio Grandes into my SG and thinking either JB and Jazz or 59/Custom and 59 in my LP Standard!

Thanks all!!!
    Last edited by papersoul; 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM.

Re: JB vs. Custom vs. 59/Custom hybrid?

Anyone compare the two in a Les Paul?

Comment

JB vs. Custom vs. 59/Custom hybrid?

I have a jb/ jazz set in an lp. I can't offer any comparison to other sets but I really like it. It's very big sounding. At times I wish it had a tad more upper mid cut ( the thick, heavy body darkens the tone a bit) but other than that its my favorite guitar.

It does rock/hard rock and metal pretty well. Won't do super saturated nu-metal too well but it also lightens up nicely. I wouldn't use it for an indie tone but it will do alternative styles pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero12 View Post
        I have a jb/ jazz set in an lp. I can't offer any comparison to other sets but I really like it. It's very big sounding. At times I wish it had a tad more upper mid cut ( the thick, heavy body darkens the tone a bit) but other than that its my favorite guitar.

It does rock/hard rock and metal pretty well. Won't do super saturated nu-metal too well but it also lightens up nicely. I wouldn't use it for an indie tone but it will do alternative styles pretty well.
        Well, I think super saturated heavy metal has more to do with the amp. I can do super saturated nu-metal with my Telecaster and Little 59.

Comment

Tried the 59/Custom, Custom and JB in a various guitars, but none stuck as long as my 59 has.

I just prefer the clarity of a lower output pickup, while you can always add more gain with the amp. I like Alnico 2 pickups (Seth/A2pro) but they doesnt seem all that versatile to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensates View Post
            Tried the 59/Custom, Custom and JB in a various guitars, but none stuck as long as my 59 has.

I just prefer the clarity of a lower output pickup, while you can always add more gain with the amp. I like Alnico 2 pickups (Seth/A2pro) but they doesnt seem all that versatile to me.
            Maybe so, but those low output PAF style pickups are not tight enough to handle hard and heavy rock.

Comment

Re: Brobucker vs. 59/Custom hybrid?

With regard to JB/C or 59/C, they are both nice. The 59/C is a little more open and the JB/C is a little more compressed. Depending on the needs on the style of music, the JB/C has a little more sustain, probably related to the output. The 59/C might be a little more versatile.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, Darthphineas mentioned sustain and I would also like to refer to it as "juice".

The JB has TONS of "juice" and lots of sustain for legato and technical lead work... the '59/Custom hybrid less so and the '59 even less.

As far as touch sensitive goes... it's the reverse with the '59 having the most, '59/Custom less so and the JB the least.

It's basically touch sensitivity (dynamics) vs "juice" and sustain... you can't really have both.

The '59/Custom hybrid will be a jack of all trades and a master of none... sort of a healthy compromise between the '59's lack of output and the JB's lack of touch sensitivity.

I've always found that the JB is not the best pickup to work the volume knob and get useable tones through the entire range... the other two pickups are much better at being dynamic.

I think all three could be EQ'd to sound massive with thick low mids but you'll have to decide if touch sensitivity or output is more important.

Oh and if you don't play a lot of leads, I'd maybe forget about the JB.

Personally, I'd get a '78 and be done with it. lolz
                Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

I've had the 59 and JB in my Les Paul. Not tried the 59/C Hybrid. I have always liked the JB in my LPC. It's definitely juicier than the other two like Zen and Darth mentioned. If you don't need a lot of dynamics, the extra compression on the JB makes it effortless to play. Tons of crunch, can be easily EQed to pack a wallop. Easily been my favorite pickup for a LONG time. If you have the amp to do the lifting, the 59 can do metal. Mark from Lamb of God used the 59 for a long time during the beginning of their career. It's definitely more open than the JB and can work with the volume knob a lot easier to calm down your amp. The JB DOES clean up pretty nice though. I used it with a 3-tube Splawn Quickrod and was able to get some really nice cleans. The 3-tube Splawns don't have quite as nice of a clean as the 4-tube versions.

LP Custom
                  Greenbacks
                  Boss SD-1

Comment

59/c a jack of all trades and a master of none? Pfft.

Comment

Pika pika

LP Custom
                      Greenbacks
                      Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                        59/c a jack of all trades and a master of none? Pfft.
                        Ahhh... I am personally one of those "Jacks of all Trades" and just because we never get to master anything doesn't mean that we can't be really damn good at many things. Didn't mean to knock the hybrid or diminish it in any way.
                        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

If any one pickup were a master of all trades/tones, there wouldn't be a need for so many other models to choose from.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought you owned all these duncans already?
                            Excellent deals with,
                            Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                            Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                            slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                            guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                            51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                            king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Working...
                            X