Antiquity 2 for Firebird is A+++++++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity 2 for Firebird is A+++++++

Hey .. after using LPs & Strats through the late 60's, I picked up a new '76 Bicentennial Firebird V for sliding. Make a long story short, she disappeared in the early 2000's.

I replaced her with a new 2004 only to be grossly disappointed by Gibson's stock ceramic pickups which I was not told about at time of purchase. The instrument fit and felt good ... so I bought it.

Used it for a few months on stage but had to juggle amps around as it wasn't the best sounding thing thru a 100W or 50W Marshall and was marginal thru a Fender DeVille. Eventually, I put her down for unplugged rehearsal only and bought an SG Standard for sliding.

I've always been a stickler for stock everything from Gibson and Fender UNTIL this new 'bird came along.
    Started buying aftermarket pickups only to have them ALL SUCK along the way except for SD's Vintage Flats for my Strat.

Two weeks ago, I tried SD's Antiquity2 for Firebird ... neck position only and installed it yesterday. I am blown away. It sounds like my Alnico 'bird of 1976 !!
    I ordered the bridge version from MF and can hardly wait to mount it.
    Thanks Derek! at SD for your help along the way.

Re: Antiquity 2 for Firebird is A+++++++

yep. i havent had a firebird in a while but i do love em.

i have the antiquity II firebird neck pup in a tele and bridge pup on an old hollow body guild and they both sound amazing

Comment

Good to hear! Jeremy, that sounds like a great idea for my Tele.

Comment

I'll post sound clips once this damned hurricane crap passes ... that'll be last couple days of August.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
          Good to hear! Jeremy, that sounds like a great idea for my Tele.
          its not a mild pup. if you have a vintage tele bridge pup youll need to set the fb pretty low so it doesnt over power the bridge. i have a 7.5k flat pole tele pup i made in there and it balances well.

if you want a little less aggressive pup that still sounds great the antiquity II lp deluxe style mini sounds great as well

Comment

Its been a week now that I've been playing like a guy obsessed with my 'bird . The neck Antiquity 2 has me stroked.

Tomorrow, my bridge Antiquity 2 arrives ... I won't know how to act

Comment

do you guys have any issues with these things squealing like ned beatty. Had a set in my FB and there were amazing out of the blue the started squeal when I cranked up my JMP50. I saw bluzguy used a 50w marshALL

Comment

welcome to the forum!

antiquities are not potted so can act microphonic at higher volume/gain settings

you can have them wax potted which will stop that squeal

Comment

Originally posted by sixty2strat View Post
                  do you guys have any issues with these things squealing like ned beatty. Had a set in my FB and there were amazing out of the blue the started squeal when I cranked up my JMP50. I saw bluzguy used a 50w marshALL
                  I might be too late in responding but, No. My 2266 VM Marshall 50W head is cranked to about 8 and the HDR button is 'in' so, wide open, it's rippin' My cabinet is the matching 4X12 425A. No foot pedals in the chain, straight FBV to cable to amp. I play with my knob all the time ... it's set at about '6' for a nice, smooth/creamy clear and definitive rhythm then, cranking her for soloing sound that makes ya not wanna stop!

Wish I could post a clip here on the site. Can I???

Comment

why couldnt you?

Comment

I installed an antiquity II firebird set on my esp eclipse which is routed for humbuckers, and they sound great. I got those adapter rings on ebay and put them on there...although I'm really gassing for some tv jones magna'trons, so i might sell the ants.
                      Last edited by checo; 05-08-2013, 11:30 PM.
                      Good deals with Fusion1, Mig50, Meggo, hamerfan, Booldrose, JOLLY, Ignoramus, BELLEZA, BPSUL, bluesbend, DracoAran, brunigio, Ed Hunter, Andrew Lemprecht, Shauggy, atreidesheir, Killsocket, rawkabilly, DesertRat, slaveunit, Clapton is God, metlking, Heartfeltmusic2010, ErikH, SAVAGE DISTORTION, Punkkitty, Dankstar, lexx9, Mr 9finger, loversmoon, BachToRock, Kingdon Guitarworks, Chrismo, Ascension, IndySG, ex-250, guitarglynn, Mononoaware, chickencoop, daan, t1r12003, Demina, Trevorus and more.

Comment

Working...
                      X