Burstbuckers w/Alnico 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burstbuckers w/Alnico 3?

I just made a blind trade for a set of BBs. The guy says they are Alnico3, I thought they were A2. This is an older set, not sure how old. What do you think? Any good? I'm spoiled by the Seth Lovers, so I may never be satisfied by anything less. But if they do have A3 magnets,...............?

Re: Burstbuckers w/Alnico 3?

I have always heard A2, but I will be happy to stand corrected.

Comment

The only way they're A3 is if somebody changed the magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by ajeffcote View Post
        if they do have A3 magnets,...............?
        ...they've been tempered with. They can be BB1, BB2, BB3 or BB Pros, for all you know.

In any case, a mag swap is mandatory to get'em to sound decent. The mag combo depends on what BBs you're getting.

Post back when you get'em, so you can know something for sure.
        Last edited by LtKojak; 08-25-2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

The Randy Rhoads Les Paul pickups are Alnico III. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ectronics.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by revolution View Post
            The Randy Rhoads Les Paul pickups are Alnico III. http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ectronics.aspx
            The Randy Rhoads p'ups may as well be A3; as Gibson bought a big lot of those for their "new vintage" '57 Classic, but their literature is wrong, as A3 was NOT used in early '70s p'ups at all, but short A5s.

BTW, NO Burstbacker comes stock with A3s, but A2s in the BB1, BB2 and BB3 and A5 in BB Pros.

Do you really expect accuracy in anything Gibson claims?

Comment

Working...
            X