Johnny Smith Neck Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Smith Neck Mount

Can a Johnny Smith Neck Mount be added to an Ibanez AEF Acoustic/Electric Guitar

Re: Johnny Smith Neck Mount

Originally posted by staybobo View Post
    Can a Johnny Smith Neck Mount be added to an Ibanez AEF Acoustic/Electric Guitar
    No without cutting the hole, but even if you could, it can't added to the already in-place preamp, so it's got to be wired separated from the existing system. An ill-conceived idea to start with.

What are trying to accomplish anyway???

Comment

I am after a Howard Roberts style guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by staybobo View Post
        I am after a Howard Roberts style guitar.
        this one is an archtop and the neck angle is different to yours.
        A lot of archtops wont fit a johnny smith either. The thinnest neck mount you can find is by Kent Armstrong. Its the handwound one called a "2D". Not the thicker factory built one you can buy on ebay. You have to get it directly from KA.
        However, seeing as yours is a flattop, i reckon your best bet is to try a sound hole mounted magnetic pickup.
        The sweet spot for neck pickups is directly under where the 24th fret would be (there is a double octave harmonic there - same sound as the harmonic on your fifth fret). Looking at your axe, that would be in the forward part of your soundhole - exactly where most modern soundhole magnetic pickups sit. (eg...the 3rd example from snowdog)
        HOwever- most of them are single coil (to give high end clarity). There is tho a humbucking soundhole pickup by artec. Its not expensive either. Ive tried it in a steel string and it sounded good (it resides in a friend's 12 string now).
        That might be worth trying out.
        It wont play with your intalled elecgtronics tho....but fishman make plenty of preamps that allow pickup/piezo blending.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

You might be able to mount that 1st Artec pickguard pickup to the soundboard, but I don't know if you can height adjust?

Comment

Working...
          X