Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What set should I use?

Hello everyone, first post here!

I've been lurking here in the forums lately after getting my old guitar restored not long ago. The reason for this is simple: I have a dual humbucker setup and the one on the bridge demagnetized over the years ('79) guitar.

Since I want both pickups to work with each other I though I should buy a new pair and Duncans always sounded spectacular to me.

Problem is I don't have a very common guitar. A 1979 Japanese Aria Pro II YS-400.
    It's got a Sycamore/Maple body, a 5 piece Maple/Mahogany set-in neck a 24-fret Rosewood fretboard. It is a string through guitar.

Here is a picture from the catalog all those years ago.
    If needed I will take pictures of the guitar as it is now.

I want the guitar to be as versatile as possible. I usually play Rock, Grunge, Blues, Funk and sometimes Metal but not too heavy. It already has coil tapping capability from the factory.

I was thinking I would get a Jazz/JB, 59'/JB or 59'/59' set.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MrJohn; 08-27-2012, 05:23 PM.

Re: What set should I use?

1st off...if the magnet in the pickup is busted, then you can quite easily replace the magnet.

as for pickup recommendations, what you listed are very good combos for the styles you play. Also consider the Duncan Custom for the bridge if you want a PAF-ish vibe with a bit more muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
      Also consider the Duncan Custom for the bridge if you want a PAF-ish vibe with a bit more muscle.
      I Heard of the Duncan Custom but I'm afraid it is too hot for cleans.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJohn View Post
        I Heard of the Duncan Custom but I'm afraid it is too hot for cleans.

While a very good pickup, it may not be the best for cleans. I always use the neck pup for cleans so I like the custom in the bridge. The JB actually sounds really good clean as does the 59. You may like the newer custom/59 hybrid. Jazz or 59 will do really well for a neck pickup

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
          The JB actually sounds really good clean as does the 59. You may like the newer custom/59 hybrid.
          I'm almost sold for a 59' or a Jazz on the neck but can't quite decide which.

I've heard good things about the Custom/59 hybrid but there are no audio samples and I have no idea how it will sound in a Sycamore guitar.

Comment

Also, would you recommend a 59' neck with a Custom 5 bridge with a maple body guitar?

Comment

Hey MrJohn, I don't want to discourage you from getting a new pickup, but if you want to send your pickup in to the Custom Shop, they can re-magnetize it for your rather quickly and inexpensively. If you want to know more, e-mail Maricela.

And before I forget, welcome to the SDUGF!
              Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
              Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

If you are thinking about a 59 neck, I'd like to suggest a 59/custom hybrid.

To me, the 59 and C5 are the same pick up with the same eq, with the C5 having more bass and high end.

If you are worried about the Custom, it is an excellent pup. I had a problem with a little high end fizzies with my LP w/maple cap. [Dont have any mostly maple guitars so I have little experience to actually answering your orginal question. I do remember your guitar-they are excellent guitars and underappreciated.]

Decided to to switch to the 59/Custom hybrid. This pup has the highs and lows of the 59
                and the mids of the custom. I have not tried it with a 59 in the neck as I have a Jazz neck, and I suspect it'll play well with a 59 in the neck.
                That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

@Evan Skopp - Thank you for the suggestion but I live in Portugal and it would not be very easy to send the pickups to the Custom Shop. Besides, although they are good enough pickups, they are the weakest link in the guitar ATM. When I repaired I had Sperzel locking tuners and a new gotoh bridge installed. Just missing Duncans to make the formula work at it's fullest potential!

@Condemned soul - So you suggest I should try a 59' in the neck and a 59'/Custom hybrid in the bridge?

Comment

59' in the neck and a 59'/Custom hybrid in the bridge
                    I second this recommendation. It'll be excellent.

Comment

Well you've got me convinced on the 59' neck and 59'/custom bridge.

Anyone to convince me otherwise?

Comment

Problem is I don't have a very common guitar.
                        Hmmm. It's made of wood. Has six strings. Seems common enough.

I'd say 59/JB if you were more into Metal. Same with the Custom. Since you aren't, the recommended choice seems to be a good one.

Comment

Ok guys thanks for the input. I'll have some time to think until Mid-September so if anyone has different input, please, do say something.

Comment

Also, would you recommend a 59' neck with a Custom 5 bridge with a maple body guitar?
                            If you like PAF, this is a great combo. The Custom 5 sounds very similar to a'59 with a good oomph in output. I have mine with an overwound '59 i had the custom shop at SD Make in the neck position. Body is alder w/a maple cap and a maple neck w/rosewood fret board. Good combo. Classic sounds with some extra heat.
                            MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Working...
                            X