Pickups for epi Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for epi Les Paul

I'm looking to upgrade the Stock pickups on my Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro. I'm looking to cover the basic tones of Neil Young, Allman Brothers, Cream, Led Zeppelin and Nirvana type sounds with this pickup(I realize those sounds aren't all similar). I guess something that has usable split coil sounds would be preferred for extra diversity. I'm not looking to nail exact tones, but rather something that sounds good playing those type songs that get me in the ball park.

The amps I have are a Marshall Class 5, and a Peavey Classic 30, if that makes a difference.

What do you folks suggest?

Re: Pickups for epi Les Paul

For some Zeppelin tunes, a 59b and a PGn work great.
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

'59 set
      2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
      Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
      Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Pearly Gates
        Seth
        Screamin Demon
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The standard answer to that question, which has been asked many times, is usually '59's. But any PAF will work.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Thanks guys. So does a 59 do the split coil thing well?

I'm kinda thinking about PGn, and 59 bridge. I take it those pickups work well together...

Comment

finally a thread asking for pickups for this kind of music and people are not recommending the custom line. =)

Comment

Originally posted by symptom View Post
                finally a thread asking for pickups for this kind of music and people are not recommending the custom line. =)
                That's because the OP was cristal clear about it and the ones that answered until now seem to have better-than-average knowledge of the Duncan products that better serve the purpose.

I'd like to add to the already well-informed thread the champion of the Duncan production p'up line for the style of music requested:

The Seth Lover set, which can also be had as 4-conductor for the coil-splitting feature.

HTH,

Comment

a set of 59's is a great choice, and the standard for the PAge sound/setup
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                    That's because the OP was cristal clear about it and the ones that answered until now seem to have better-than-average knowledge of the Duncan products that better serve the purpose.

I'd like to add to the already well-informed thread the champion of the Duncan production p'up line for the style of music requested:

The Seth Lover set, which can also be had as 4-conductor for the coil-splitting feature.

HTH,
                    You're right. Only top users here. Don't get me wrong, I see a lot of topics of people saying that want to play zep, clapton, classic rock stuff and the number 1 suggestion is the Custom 8 or any other one of the Custom line. It's a nice pickup, but I think it's not for that application.

Comment

I'd put in two P Rails, or one P Rail and one PAF clone.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Reading the OP the things that spring to mind are the 59s and the Pearly Gates. Of course, there's the Alnico 2 Pro as well that might be a nice choice for the neck. But my gut feeling would be, PG bridge and 59 neck.

Comment

For the era he wants, the 59 and PG really can't be beat. I prefer the PG personally for all things PAF. But, the 59 is just an all around winner.

As always, there is no "one" pup that will do all of that. I personally got the most awesome Allmans tones out of a Custom Custom, and a PG hooked me up with my ZZ Top. An A2P will give you some fat slide tones too.

But if I wasn't sure, or couldn't decide, not a dang thing wrong, and a lot of things right about a pair of 59's.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've got a Ibanez semi hollowbody with a PGb and Jazz neck. I really like them in that guitar, but I'm looking for something different in the Les Paul. I've not had personal experience with a PGn, but I know a lot of folks on here like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
                              '59 set
                              this is the right answer

Comment

Working...
                              X