No announcement yet.

Series/Parallel toether in Parallel ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series/Parallel toether in Parallel ?!

I want to wire two pick-ups together directly to 1 volume control (no switch or tone)- yes, it would be a one sound only guitar but I'm fine with that.
    These are the results I'm hoping to achieve-

FRED in Bridge- 10.38 ohm
    FRED in neck- 6.92 ohm (wired in parallel to itself)
    combined = 17.3 ohm

17.3 divided by 2= 8.65
    So 8.65 ohm is what I want my amp to see with these two pick-ups wired together.

here's the DMZ color code:

top coil red +
    black -
    bottom coil white +
    green -

the FRED in series (in the bridge) will be wired like this:
    red ( + ) to hot
    green ( - ) and bare to ground
    black and green together and taped

FRED in parallel (in the neck):
    red ( + ) and white ( + )
    black ( - ) to green ( - ) and bare.

I know there's a real simple answer to this wiring question- it just escapes my mind.

Thanks!
    Last edited by KRKBAB; 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM.

Re: Series/Parallel toether in Parallel ?!

There isn't actually a question here....

Also for the fred in the bridge, you want to tape off the black and WHITE not green.

Also also, your calculations are wrong.

Fred bridge in series:
    5.19k + 5.19k = 10.38k

Fred neck in parallel:
    1/(1/5.19k + 1/5.19k) = 2.595k

Both of those in parallel:
    1/(1/10.38k + 1/2.595k) = 2.076k

Of course, despite the circuit resistance being that low, it won't seem like a massive drop in output, because the voltage/current produced by the circuit isn't really being reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
      There isn't actually a question here....

Also for the fred in the bridge, you want to tape off the black and WHITE not green.

Also also, your calculations are wrong.

Fred bridge in series:
      5.19k + 5.19k = 10.38k

Fred neck in parallel:
      1/(1/5.19k + 1/5.19k) = 2.595k

Both of those in parallel:
      1/(1/10.38k + 1/2.595k) = 2.076k

Of course, despite the circuit resistance being that low, it won't seem like a massive drop in output, because the voltage/current produced by the circuit isn't really being reduced.

My question (simplified) is:
      How do I wire two pickups together in parallel (parallel to each other) with one of them wired in parallel to itself and the other one wired standard (with both coils in series)?

YES- I made a mistake about the FRED is series. I wrote black and green together when I obviously meant black and white which is standard Dmz wiring.

Concerning your figure of a 10.38 pickup being 2.076 (do we really have to go to hundredths?) I've read many times that people say that. But many others say that a pickup wired in parallel is about 2/3rds the power of it's total inductance and not 1/4.
      My experience (yes, anecdotal only) is that a pickup wired in parallel to itself is almost as loud as it wired standard (hence my belief that it is 2/3rds and not 1/4 of it's total inductance (if inductance is the right word?).

I don't know- perhaps with electricians the 1/4 measurement is a correct calculation? But I do know that my ears definitely don't hear a 3/4 power reduction with a pickup wired in parallel.

I may even be incorrect in a pedantic way concerning electrical terminology however.

I'm curious- have you found that by wiring a pickup in parallel to itself really sounds like it's inductance is reduced by 3/4s?
      Unless I read you wrong, it seems like that's what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
        Doesn't the fred have two different coils?

I don't know for sure... just a question.
        Yes- it has the dual coil resistance feature.
        The Dmz website lists it as a 10.38 ohm pickup.

I don't know what each coil measures by themselves though.

Comment

you hard wire one pup in series then the other in parallel then connect the two hot wires together at the volume control and the two ground wires together at your ground location.

simple

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            you hard wire one pup in series then the other in parallel then connect the two hot wires together at the volume control and the two ground wires together at your ground location.

simple
            THANK YOU!

Was my question really hard to figure out as ConvoysToNothingness implied?
            Last edited by KRKBAB; 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

dual resonance is two coils with the same number of turns of different wire so the dc resistance of each coil will be different

Comment

Ok well different resistances for separate coils aside, a humbucker wired in parallel has about 2/3rds the output, and has a bit more high end and less bass. But electrically speaking, a humbucker in parallel will yield 1/4 the resistance of the same humbucker in series. No arguing about this, it's the law (physics law anyway).

If you know what the different resistances are for each coil in the FRED, then plug them into this formula:

single humbucker (in parallel):
                Rtotal = 1/( (1/R1st coil) + (1/R2nd coil) )

and then for both buckers (in parallel):
                Rtotal = 1/( (1/Rbridge) + (1/Rneck) )

Any way you slice it, you're not going to get 8.65kohms going to your amp with those pickups.
                Last edited by CTN; 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KRKBAB View Post
                  So 8.65 ohm is what I want my amp to see with these two pick-ups wired together.
                  Ain't gonna happen with any arrangement of four 5K coils. Your formulas for figuring out resistance in series and in parallel are not correct. The closest you can get is one pickup running split (one coil unused), the other pickup with its coils in parallel to each other, and both pickups wired together in series, for a total of 7.5K.

But 5K per coil is just a rough estimation. If you can post the actual measured resistance of each coil, then we can figure out the orientation that will get you closest to your desired 8.65 K.

That said, why are you aiming for a particular total resistance value?
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    Ain't gonna happen with any arrangement of four 5K coils. Your formulas for figuring out resistance in series and in parallel are not correct. The closest you can get is one pickup running split (one coil unused), the other pickup with its coils in parallel to each other, and both pickups wired together in series, for a total of 7.5K.

But 5K per coil is just a rough estimation. If you can post the actual measured resistance of each coil, then we can figure out the orientation that will get you closest to your desired 8.65 K.

That said, why are you aiming for a particular total resistance value?
                    Thanks, but I already got the info I needed.
                    Also, I think I have to concentrate more on the sound of the result than the numbers involved.

I didn't know what I thought I knew.
                    Now I know that I know even less than I thought I knew.

That's certainly qualifies as new knowledge, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

simple
                      Yes that sums it up, only its 3 hot (red & white from neck - red from bridge) and 3 ground (black & green neck - green bridge).

Comment

FYI-The Fred has a 4.2K coil (PAF Pro) and approx. a 6.1K coil.

Comment

Working...
                        X