Damien 8 Pickup swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damien 8 Pickup swap

Currently have the stock EMG 808s (active) in my Schecter 8 string, looking to upgrade for something with more output, more clarity and refrain from being overly muddy with distortion.

Of course there is the Blackout, but are there other options for me?

Re: Damien 8 Pickup swap

Sadly right now the pickings for 8 string guitars are a bit sparse with few options available. You might inquire with the Duncan Custom shop and see if they have something more available. But no idea on the pricing being its a extreme specialty item it might have an extreme tag. Sorry wish i could help more hopefully in the future 8 strings will become more popular and you will have more options readily available. Good luck
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I understand you. I have a 7 string which came with EMG's and was sadly disapointed, 7 string EMGs (and 8's) sound very different than their 6 string counterparts; they are boomy and powerless.
      I switched my EMG's for Seymour Duncan JB and 59, they sound waaay better, more power and attack, and TONE! A bit later I realised that the Duncan Distortino would have been better than the JB, IMO 7 & 8 string guitars react better with ceramic mags than Alnicos. These guitars require more bite on the low strings, ofcourse this is just a personal taste thing.

Unfortunatley 8 string pups are very hard to find on SD, but here is an option that looks better than EMG's, just press OPTIONS on the lower right. https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/mai...kup=painkiller

Comment

You should try the Lace Alumitone DeathBar 8 and Aluma 8X for 8 string. They are crystal clear and work great for high gain. These seem to me the perfect 8 string pickups. I am still looking for a suitable patient (Donor 8 string body) to install the set I have that I won for naming the pickups for Lace.

I have a couple of Schecter Damien Elites and one has the EMG 808s, the other Ghost Silverburst has Seymour Duncan Blackouts and the Lace Aluma X and Deathbar sound better to me. I also have a Carvin 8 string and the Carvin branded active pickups they use sound better than both the EMGs or the Seymour Duncans to me too, so go figure, but still not as good as the Lace Aluma X / Deathbar set.

Last edited by Fusion1; 09-02-2012, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X