banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make PRS Original Dragon Neck Pickup Brighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make PRS Original Dragon Neck Pickup Brighter?

I picked up a PRS Ce-22 from my neighbor a few months ago. It came with a Full Shred bridge (in the neck) and a Dimebucker in the bridge.
    They sounded pretty cool, but WAY too hot.
    The other day, my neighbor calls me up and says that he found the original pickups. I stop by and find out that they are Original Dragons!
    I promptly traded him for the Duncans that were in the guitar!

I love the bridge pickup! This is the 1st bridge pickup I have ever had that was hot, with lots of harmonics and sustain, but not bright. I cannot stand bright pickups or guitars.

The neck pickup, however, has no harmonics, lacks a little sustain for a PRS pickup, and has no sparkle. It is wired correctly.
    I like the general tone of it, although it is a tad bit dark, but it just doesn't have very much character.
    I have the screw poles toward the nut right now, I was wondering if moving them toward the bridge would make the pickup brighter. If not, then I probably just need to find a different pickup.

So....
    What Duncan (or other brand) would you guys recommend to compliment my Dragon 1 bridge pickup?
    I play mostly harder rock stuff. Kind of a cross between Rush, Incubus and early Maiden. I play lots of clean stuff to though.
    I like warm, bright (I know the two terms don't always go together) and articulate with lots of sustain.

Guitar:
    PRS CE-22
    Maple top on mahogany body.
    Maple neck, rosewood fretboard.
    Aluminum tremolo block - pretty bright sounding, but has really cool sustain and feel.

Re: How to make PRS Original Dragon Neck Pickup Brighter?

Things to try:
    Turn the pickup 180 degrees so the screw coil is near the bridge.
    Wire the neck pickup in parallel rather than series.
    Shorten the fillister screws so they are flush with the baseplate.
    Replace the fillister screws with hew screws to dip out the midrange and tighten the bass response.
    Replace the magnet with an A3 which will make it bright, sweet and focused.

Comment

Try lowering the pickup.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

Many PRS users don't care for the Dragon pickups and swap them out for PAF types- just a thought

Comment

A 1 meg pot on the volume, and no-load 500K pot on the tone.
          If this aint enough wire a 0.047 cap in series, if it has 4 wires try between the 2 coils, if it has 2 wires put it in series after the hot.
          EDIT; If neither what Idsnowdog or this works change the pup! I would stick in a SD Seth Lover.
          Last edited by Guitaraxz; 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM.

Comment

If you want to keep the original pickups, change the magnets. Try bridge-UOA5 and neck-A3. Have patience on the A3, it will take a week to ferment.

Also Hybrid them! Split them in half and swap the slug coil bobbins, in my experience this "opens" up the tone.

Comment

Thanks guys!
              I'll give the easier ones a try tonight after work.

A couple of questions:
              What magnets are in my pickups now?
              How do I wire a PRS pickup in Parallel? (only 3 wires and a ground)
              Would swapping magnet orientation work? I just read that the neck pup on PRS guitars has the orientation swapped so that it will work with the 5-way switch. My guitar has a 3 way switch with push/pull coil tap.

Also, I don't want to change the wiring. The bridge pup is perfect just the way it is. I only have 1 volume and 1 tone.

I have a P-Rails neck pickup that is just sitting around. If all else fails, I might throw that in there just to see how it sounds.

Comment

Besides the aforementioned easy (or difficult) simple tweaks, if you still can't make it work, the neck pup with nice harmonics I would recommend would actually be Dimarzio's Liquifire.

Definitely try that P-rails first though, it's various configurations is bound to get you somewhere closer to what you're looking for that we can go off.
                SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
                Mi Familia

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
                  Many PRS users don't care for the Dragon pickups and swap them out for PAF types- just a thought
                  They don't care for the Dragon II pickups which are not the same thing. The Dragon I pickups go for very nice coin when they show used

Comment

Originally posted by Monsta-Tone View Post
                    Thanks guys!
                    I'll give the easier ones a try tonight after work.

A couple of questions:
                    What magnets are in my pickups now?
                    How do I wire a PRS pickup in Parallel? (only 3 wires and a ground)
                    Would swapping magnet orientation work? I just read that the neck pup on PRS guitars has the orientation swapped so that it will work with the 5-way switch. My guitar has a 3 way switch with push/pull coil tap.

Also, I don't want to change the wiring. The bridge pup is perfect just the way it is. I only have 1 volume and 1 tone.

I have a P-Rails neck pickup that is just sitting around. If all else fails, I might throw that in there just to see how it sounds.
                    The Bridge is Ceramic and the Neck A5 if memory serves. PRS is a little cryptic about the details but they are out there.

You can't wire the PRS pickup coils parallel without modifying them. They don't provide all 4 wires. The pair that connect the 2 coils together only has a single wire to split the coils.

The magnet is "flipped" from the factory. However the color coding is also different. I don't recall the color codes but the hot wire on the bridge and the hot wire on the neck are not the same color. That's how they make it work with the 3 way and the push pull. Unfortunately a mag flip won't make it any brighter

Comment

demud mod?

Comment

Is that an actual mod, or the name of the mod we figure out with this pickup?

Comment

It is an actual mod. Check this thread

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                            Things to try:
                            Turn the pickup 180 degrees so the screw coil is near the bridge.
                            Wire the neck pickup in parallel rather than series.
                            Shorten the fillister screws so they are flush with the baseplate.
                            Replace the fillister screws with hew screws to dip out the midrange and tighten the bass response.
                            Replace the magnet with an A3 which will make it bright, sweet and focused.
                            I move the screw pole pieces to the bridge side, shortened the screws a little and lowered the pickup.
                            Much better now, thank you!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X