Stewmac's Parson Street PAFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewmac's Parson Street PAFs

Just ran across these the other day. The sound samples are pretty good. They're supposed to be replicas of PAFs from a '59 LP they have in their collection. www.stewmac.com

I have Antiquities in my LP Custom and won't be taking them out anytime soon, but at $62 a piece, the Stewmac pups might be worth a look in another guitar.
    Last edited by Jeffrec; 09-10-2012, 07:07 AM.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Re: Stewmac's Parson Street PAFs

Are these re-named Golden Age pups, or a new design/series?

I've used the Golden Age buckers many times in various guitars and found them to be excellent. The tone they produce is consistant from pickup to pickup and good at aping the old PAF sound.

Personally, I'd have no qualms about using the Parson Street pups.

Comment

Originally posted by teleblooz View Post
      Are these re-named Golden Age pups, or a new design/series?

I've used the Golden Age buckers many times in various guitars and found them to be excellent. The tone they produce is consistant from pickup to pickup and good at aping the old PAF sound.

Personally, I'd have no qualms about using the Parson Street pups.
      It appears to be a new Golden Age design. Nice tone from what little I heard.

Comment

wondered about this too, are they made in the US?
        "Time flies like arrows, and fruit flies like bananas."

Comment

Originally posted by lNllClK View Post
          wondered about this too, are they made in the US?
          I would guess so. The website doesn't indicate otherwise.

Comment

You didn't even try them? Thread title fail.

In general, things on Stewmac are the cheapest possible materials, except tools. I'd rather try GFS.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
              You didn't even try them? Thread title fail.

In general, things on Stewmac are the cheapest possible materials, except tools. I'd rather try GFS.
              No. I didn't try them. A friend told me about them, I listened to sound sample (video) liked what I heard, and thought folks here would be interested. How is that as a thread title "fail"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec View Post
                I would guess so. The website doesn't indicate otherwise.
                usually when something is made in the US the company shouts it from atop the highest mountain. If it's not, they don't say a word... just wondered if anyone actually has one and it says made in the USA on a sticker or something. If not, I think i'd rather just buy Seth's for 30 bucks more.

Comment

usually when something is made in the US the company shouts it from atop the highest mountain. If it's not, they don't say a word... just wondered if anyone actually has one and it says made in the USA on a sticker or something. If not, I think i'd rather just buy Seth's for 30 bucks more.
                  +1. You know what you're getting with Seths; one of the best PAF's available today.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                    +1. You know what you're getting with Seths; one of the best PAF's available today.
                    I agree that Seth's (and Ants) are probably the best sounding PAFs on the market. I'm using Seth's in a Hamer, and they are awesome. I just thought that, for the money, the Parson's Street pups would be worth messing around with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec View Post
                      I agree that Seth's (and Ants) are probably the best sounding PAFs on the market. I'm using Seth's in a Hamer, and they are awesome. I just thought that, for the money, the Parson's Street pups would be worth messing around with.
                      no doubt, especially with the price, that's why I was wondering if you're getting an american made product for that price. guess we oughtta ask stew mac for the final word...

Comment

I remember reading the Golden Age pickups were Korean made. Some people tried them and said they were good for the price. The Fender Forums like the Parsons pickups... I don't see any comparisons to Duncan Antiquities.

However, Duncan Antiquities are comparable to Tom Holmes pickups, which I think go for $500 a pickup, so as someone else said, for $30 more I'd go with an Antiquity- it's a better value

Comment

no doubt, especially with the price, that's why I was wondering if you're getting an american made product for that price. guess we oughtta ask stew mac for the final word...
                          I emailed them and they indicated that they're "designed in the U.S., but assembled overseas". This explains the price. But, as I said before, they're probably worth monkeying around with.

Ultimately, I'll always stick with Antiquities and Seth's as my personal preference for a PAF-style pickup.

Comment

The only Stewmac pickup I have tried is one of the covered neck Goldenage ones. It sounded muddy, and I couldn't do anything to make it not so. Finally I decided to take the cover off and it was a bar of wax like the epi pickups.

To be fair, it was ok once the wax was off, but not as...musical as other PAF replicas I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                              To be fair, it was ok once the wax was off, but not as...musical as other PAF replicas I've tried.
                              Translation: worst pickup you tried so far

Comment

Working...
                              X