banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bridge 'bucker: screw coil towards neck sound any different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridge 'bucker: screw coil towards neck sound any different?

Does a bridge humbucker sound any different if you have the screw coils towards the neck, as opposed to towards the bridge?
    "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Re: bridge 'bucker: screw coil towards neck sound any different?

The change in sound is no change to minimal depending on your gear/setup when flipping over a neck humbucker. It can be a hair brighter if you are adjusting the screw pole pieces. It will not be a dramatic change, but it is an option to fine tune the high end ever so slightly.
    Last edited by ericmeyer4; 09-11-2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Ah, ok- was thinking of dropping a neck pickup in the bridge position and wondered if it'd sound thinner w/ the screws towards the bridge-- if so, i'd probably opt to spin the pickup around so the screws are towards the neck.
      "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Comment

If you face the screws away from the bridge, you can dial in more mids and lows by raising the screws.
        Generic signature line.

Comment

If the coils are wound with differing strengths then you hear some difference, otherwise no.

Comment

Usually no. But the side with the screws IS adjustable, so you can tweak the screw coil to get a different sound while its under a different part of the string to get a new sound. If the screws are just flat then no. And you could also probably get the difference in sound from JUST adjusting the screws ad skipping the pickup flip altogether.

Comment

If it's a Les Paul style guitar
              You will have to flip the magnet in one of the pups if you don't want the Peter Green thing going on in the middle position

Comment

You don't have to worry about the pickups being out of phase by simply rotating one 180 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by ericmeyer4 View Post
                  You don't have to worry about the pickups being out of phase by simply rotating one 180 degrees.
                  There's where you are wrong .In order for the 2 pickups to be played together in the middle position you need the same magnetic polarity at the poles that is facing each other ,slug coil of bridge pickup usually has a north polarity & it needs to have a north up polarity in the coil of the neck pickup thats closest to the bridge
                  Last edited by copperheadroads; 05-16-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                    There's where you are wrong .In order for the 2 pickups to be played together in the middle position you need the same magnetic polarity at the poles that is facing each other ,slug coil of bridge pickup usually has a north polarity & it needs to have a north up polarity in the coil of the neck pickup thats closest to the bridge
                    I'm not wrong and I agree that pickups need the same polarity in the middle position to avoid being out of phase. However, rotating 1 pickup 180 degrees does not alter the polarity. You need to either physically manipulate the position the magnet (ie take apart the humbucker, turn the magnet 180 degrees, and change nothing else). It can also be done using different wires for hot and ground or through the use of a phase switch. Simply flipping the ENTIRE pickup 180 degrees will not cause the out of phase/wah sound.

Originally posted by Seymour Duncan FAQ
                    71. What did Peter Green do to his Humbuckers to give him his sound and does he still have his old Les Paul that he used in early recording with Fleetwood Mac? Jeff Ross, Hollywood, Ca
                    This question has come up a lot lately. What Peter Green did was pretty easy to do. First the neck pickup is out of phase with the bridge pickup. To do this the cover was removed from the Humbucking Pickup, the screws loosened and the Alnico bar magnet was pull out and flipped over 180? degrees and put back in place. The screws that were loosened need to be firmly tightened or you will have extra feedback problems. The magnet should be pulled out on the opposite end where the lead and hookup wires are attached and soldered. When putting the pickup back in the mounting ring, you need to reverse the angle of the ring. When you put the pickup back into the routed cavity the adjustable screws will face the bridge and the studs (under the cover) will face the neck. The stud side of the bobbin has a slightly higher magnetic field than the adjustable side. This is because the adjustable screws extend out the bottom of the pickup and loose some of the magnetic field to the strings. Peter's old Les Paul is now owned by Gary Moore another great guitarist from England. Peter was born on October 29, 1946. Peter took Eric Clapton's place in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers around July of 1966, and in June of 1967 left the Bluesbreakers to help form Fleetwood Mac. Eric Clapton left to form Cream with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Trying finding and listening to John Mayall albums as he had great guitarist working and recording with him similar to "The Yardbirds" (Clapton, Beck, & Page). Besides Clapton and Green other great guitarist have worked with John such as Rick Vito and currently Coco Montoya.
                    Other Sources:
                    Tried it my Les Paul and...

TL;DR: To get the out of phase sound, flip the magnet or change the wiring. Pickup direction is irrelevant.
                    Last edited by ericmeyer4; 05-16-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

this is correct

Comment

Easily disproved by trying it. (Turns out that the Peter Green sound takes more doing than I thought, alas.)
                        "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Comment

I'm not wrong and I agree that pickups need the same polarity in the middle position to avoid being out of phase. However, rotating 1 pickup 180 degrees does not alter the polarity. You need to either physically manipulate the position the magnet (ie take apart the humbucker, turn the magnet 180 degrees, and change nothing else). It can also be done using different wires for hot and ground or through the use of a phase switch. Simply flipping the ENTIRE pickup 180 degrees will not cause the out of phase/wah sound.
                          Wow I stand corrected !!!!
                          I just tried it & it does not sound like a flipped magnet
                          It's something I've never tried & always assumed it would be out of phase
                          I thought I read that this is Gibson originally had the pole screws pointing towards the neck

Other Sources:
                          Tried it my Les Paul and...

TL;DR: To get the out of phase sound, flip the magnet or change the wiring. Pickup direction is irrelevant.
                          I thought I read that this is Gibson originally had the pole screws pointing towards the neck ,but a can't find it now
                          Shame on me !!!!

Comment

peter green did in fact have the neck pup with the screws towards the bridge but that had nothing to do with the phase

Comment

I thought I read that this is Gibson originally had the pole screws pointing towards the neck ,but a can't find it now
                              Shame on me !!!!
                              When I first tried flipping the pickup I was worried I would run into this too. Someone with much more knowledge than me on this can explain why flipping the magnet isn't the same as turning the pickup. I know they're not the same, just can't explain why lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X