Neck humbucker to match Pearly Gates Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck humbucker to match Pearly Gates Plus

As title suggests. I love the sound of the Pearly Gates Plus and am looking for a neck pickup to pair it with. I like my neck pickups to be clear but not mid-scooped. I play a wide variety of styles - everything from blues to pop-rock to gothic metal - and my neck pickups pretty much only get used for medium-distorted lead playing with lots of pinch harmonics in a Richie Sambora/Billy Gibbons style. I certainly don't need a 'shred' pickup, but I find many bluesier neck pickups don't respond with the kind of aggression I want either. I like things to be in the middle of the two (hence my love of the PGP).
    Until now my favourite neck pickup has been the Gibson BurstBucker #2, but I think it is a little bit too weak for this guitar and of course doesn't come in parchment.

Right now, the pickups that I have easiest and cheapest access to that theoretically fit the bill are the Pearly Gates neck, Jazz neck, 59 neck and Alnico II Pro neck or bridge models. I'm in the UK so custom ordering other SDs in parchment is hard, slow and very expensive, though can be done if there's something else that would be perfect.

The obvious choice would be a normal Pearly Gates neck, but I'm a little put off by its inexplicable higher price (not an issue if it will actually give me the sound I want, of course). I've had the 59 and Jazz in other similar guitars and didn't like them (59 was far too thin; Jazz was too soft). The A2P has always struck me as a bit boring, but I was thinking perhaps using the bridge version in the neck would help give it some life and match the output of the PGP better.

Ideas?

Re: Neck humbucker to match Pearly Gates Plus

im a big fan of the pearly gates neck but many people have used a pg bridge in the neck slot with great success its a little fatter than the neck version with more output. its a warmer tone than the jazz or 59 but it doesnt have the bottom end of the 59 which can be great since the 59 can be a little boomy.

Comment

Agree about the PGb in the neck.

Also consider the Screamin Demon, a really great pup in the neck!!!
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Huh, first time I've heard the 59 described as "boomy". I've got one in the neck of a Charvel San Dimas and it's got less bass than a Phat Cat...

But I'll give the PGb a look then, makes sense to use that as a neck pickup with a PG+ bridge. Ta.

Comment

i'm in the same boat, and i'm learning toward a regular PGn or seth/ant
          Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Working...
          X