A shielded cable instead of 2 independant wires to the output jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A shielded cable instead of 2 independant wires to the output jack

Hi all, first post on this forum, don't mean to hijack this thread, but my question is related... are there any pictures to what you're talking about with this 2-conductor shielded wire for the output jack? I bought a shielding kit from stewmac, and everything is shielded and grounded, but I just can't figure out what to do with this output jack wire. It's grey and inside has the loose copper shielding wires, and then a blue and white cable. Is this combo of blue and white twisted pair wire both to be used as the hot/lead? and then the shielding is the ground for both the jack and to connection to the volume pot?

How I have it now is that I used the white wire for the hot/lead, and then the blue wire for the ground, and then i just had the extra shielded copper wires as grounds, scratching my head, sorry i'm just not electronically savvy. i'm attaching some pictures.

From reading this thread it sounds like i need to twist the pair, tin them together, and use both as a hot/lead, and then the shielding as ground at both ends, is that correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20121204_104431.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	5763608Click image for larger version

Name:	20121204_104820.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	5763609

Comment

i still have the shielded wire all through my 71 les paul with a hot ass P90, and it hardly hums at all when i get nasty with it.... with no cavity shielding.
      Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
        i still have the shielded wire all through my 71 les paul with a hot ass P90, and it hardly hums at all when i get nasty with it.... with no cavity shielding.
        well... i rewired the output jack and i'm still getting no signal on the guitar... i must have a bad ground with the shielding...

I've ordered a volt meter to try and sort it out...

This has been time consuming and tricky, but i'm looking forward to getting this sorted out and having a humless guitar to record into Garageband with

Comment

It's a P.I.T.A. in my opinion. I don't like having the wires tied together like that. I like freedom of placement/routing. If it's already there, I leave it, but if wiring from scratch, I always use two separate runs of wire.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X