banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan JB or Rio Grande BBQ for Fat Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan JB or Rio Grande BBQ for Fat Strat?

Hi guys,

YOU ALL ROCK! Thanks to you all, I am finally getting my strats set up to my liking and my Tele!

Finally, I want to hot rod my 1983 SQ Strat. I love this thing but my tech is routing it out for a bridge humbucker and I want two of the best matching middle and neck singles, noiseless is fine.

I was thinking Rio Grande BBQ and two Rio singles or....Duncan noiseless singles.....
    Duncan JB and maybe two Duncan Hot Stack Plus pickups.
    Duncan Screamin Demon?
    Full Shred?
    PATB-3?

Rock, hard rock, grunge and some metal.....
    Amps are Bogner Shiva, PWE and Mesa Dual Rec.

Thanks!
    Last edited by papersoul; 10-08-2012, 11:20 AM.

Re: Duncan JB or Rio Grande BBQ for Fat Strat?

BBQ nuff said
    Excellent deals with,
    Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
    Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
    slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
    guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
    51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
    king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Originally posted by SAVAGE DISTORTION View Post
      BBQ nuff said
      And Duncan singles?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
        And Duncan singles?
        rio singles for me
        Excellent deals with,
        Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
        Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
        slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
        guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
        51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
        king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Looks like I may go the vintage meets modern route - Duncan 59/Custom

Comment

Trembucker for a strat trem???

Comment

yeah, go trembucker. If you dont go 59/custom, Id go BBQ. Well, depending what you play and what you play thru..
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                yeah, go trembucker. If you dont go 59/custom, Id go BBQ. Well, depending what you play and what you play thru..
                Don't you think the 59/Custom could be too bright in a strat? I may keep it with Dimarzio Rails. I mean I already have a ton of humbucking guitars.

Comment

JB. done deal. if you have a particularly bright Strat and want it fat, then maybe a PG or a CC.

if you were first considering a JB, I don't think the 59/C would be too bright. it 'feels' a little more bright an open than one might expect. once again it depends on your definition of 'fat strat'. some find the 59/C too jangly, and I can see that, but I'm a huge JB fan and still like the 59/C more than I expected.

also, after going through many rail pups in my Strat over many, many years, it's been my experience that there is no substitute for a real humbucker in the bridge position. there's a little more wiggle room in the neck/middle, depending on the pup model.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                    JB. done deal. if you have a particularly bright Strat and want it fat, then maybe a PG or a CC.

if you were first considering a JB, I don't think the 59/C would be too bright. it 'feels' a little more bright an open than one might expect. once again it depends on your definition of 'fat strat'. some find the 59/C too jangly, and I can see that, but I'm a huge JB fan and still like the 59/C more than I expected.

also, after going through many rail pups in my Strat over many, many years, it's been my experience that there is no substitute for a real humbucker in the bridge position. there's a little more wiggle room in the neck/middle, depending on the pup model.
                    My strat is naturally warm and full! I decided I don't want my strat to sound like all my other guitars with a beefy humbucker.
                    I am not a huge fan of rail pickups in the bridge, but the Dimarzio chopper surprised me. If the Chopper sucks in this strat, I may get a ful size bucker or maybe a Little JB Jr.
                    Have you tried the Duncan Lil 59? I have one in my Telecaster and it sounds incredible!!! Will never change it.

I think I am going:

Dimarzio Chopper
                    Dimarzio Injector
                    Dimarzio Injector

Comment

Vito Bratta used a '59 in the bridge of a strat and his sound was amazing!

I've always found the BBQ Bucker to be the exact opposite of a lively sounding pickup... great for Les Pauls that have dense comb filter happy mahogany bodies paired with too bright maple tops.

Don't rule out the DZ AT-1...
                      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

My strat is naturally warm and full! I decided I don't want my strat to sound like all my other guitars with a beefy humbucker.
                        I am not a huge fan of rail pickups in the bridge, but the Dimarzio chopper surprised me. If the Chopper sucks in this strat, I may get a ful size bucker or maybe a Little JB Jr.
                        Have you tried the Duncan Lil 59? I have one in my Telecaster and it sounds incredible!!! Will never change it.

I think I am going:

Dimarzio Chopper
                        Dimarzio Injector
                        Dimarzio Injector

Dimarzio Virtual Solo?

Comment

Dimarzio Chopper
                          Dimarzio Injector
                          Dimarzio Injector

Excellent choices.

Hmmm... Gilbert/Timmons set-up = Awesome Idea!!!!
                          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

For a rocking strat, WCR SRV singles + WCR Ironman HB rocks my world

Comment

Those injectors might be too fat sounding if the strat already sounds warm & full. I mean if you are looking to keep the strat sounding stratty then look into some areas instead, unless you've already tried them & don't like them.

I'm looking for new pickups in my HSS strat type Godin as well. I got & installed a area 67 in the neck today, I'm liking it so far. I'll post about it in my thread later.

Comment

Working...
                              X