Pickup Question 59/Custom hybrid centered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Question 59/Custom hybrid centered

Im sorry if this has been covered in one of the Hybrid threads, but I looked for a good while and didnt find.

Im REALLY getting very connected to my Charvel.. I have a Jazz, and a JB and tho Im really digging it, Im kinda getting a "cheating ear" to try a diff bridge pup. Those who have been around awhile, know how I love the C8, and Im thinking of going there. But, I'm real tempted to try the 59/custom hybrid. Can anyone tell me how the 59/C hy would compare/differ from a JB? A C8?

Anyone tried the Hybrid with an A8?

Again, I really like the JB but I think I want something with just alittle more warmth/vibe. (organic maybe)

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by BloodRose; 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Pickup Question 59/Custom hybrid centered

having tried all those same pickups, I can say there not much similar with regard to the 59/C and the C8 or even the JB. when I think of the C8, I think of a lot of saturation of tone with a huge presence. for the JB, I think of that mid-range punch and the highs that'll cut through.

the 59/C is really open-sounding. if you're wanting to try out more vibe and something organic, the 59/C would fall into that category. you've read about the guys that use them for vintage stuff and I know a guy that uses one for pretty brutal metal. where the JB is versatile, the 59/C is probably more so. while it can be considered moderate output, the open sound and the vibe of it really seems to make it seem louder to my ears. as I've said before the only thing that I've noticed is that it has just a smidge less 'umph' in the way the highs sustain if you're into the pinch harmoics and squeals along the style fo Vai and Dime... they are there, but with a slightly quicker decay than a JB. probably nothing a stomp box or an amp tweak won't remedy.

but as much as I was prepared to not like it and think it's a pup for grandpa rock, it really did surprise me. I'm going to be holding on to mine. it's definitely worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
      much as I was prepared to not like it and think it's a pup for grandpa rock
      Sounds like I ought to try one!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Im sorry if this has been covered in one of the Hybrid threads, but I looked for a good while and didnt find.

Im REALLY getting very connected to my Charvel.. I have a Jazz, and a JB and tho Im really digging it, Im kinda getting a "cheating ear" to try a diff bridge pup. Those who have been around awhile, know how I love the C8, and Im thinking of going there. But, I'm real tempted to try the 59/custom hybrid. Can anyone tell me how the 59/C hy would compare/differ from a JB? A C8?

Anyone tried the Hybrid with an A8?

Again, I really like the JB but I think I want something with just alittle more warmth/vibe. (organic maybe)

Thanks a bunch!
        I really dig the '59/custom 8. I have a row of hex screws in mine. The pickup has attitude, but it's cleans are insane. The pickup has a good amount of punch. It has this sizzle to leads that I love.
        My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
        The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
        Originally posted by CTN
        I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
        FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Good descriptions of it by Darth and thrasher9. I describe it as having an extended EQ...bright crystaline highs, reasonable mids (slightly scooped but not nearly like the 59), strong lows but not boomy like the 59. It's very present, lively, and acoustic-like. While I like it with the A8 (and I'm a real A8 fan), I like the softer sound with a UOA5.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

When I think of the C8, I think of a lot of saturation of tone with a huge presence.
            Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is quite possibly the best description I have heard of the C8's tone. Nicely done Lord Phineas!
            MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
              I really dig the '59/custom 8. I have a row of hex screws in mine. The pickup has attitude, but it's cleans are insane. The pickup has a good amount of punch. It has this sizzle to leads that I love.
              I currently have a C8 in about 5 guitars.. Its my Fave.. How did the hex screws change it? where did you get em?
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I too would be interested to know that.

Also, I was really really impressed with the tonality of the hybrid as heard in the "Seymour Duncan 6-String Bridge Pickups, 12 Model Comparison" vid but also liked a lot in that comparison the "wall of sound" the Alt 8 had (I have an Alt 8 in a guitar but it's a bright one so those two even out each other quite nicely).

How would one describe the difference between the "stock" SD hybrid and the A8 UOA5 variants?

(And here I thought I would focus all my pickup swapping interests in the new SDUGF pickup...)
                Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Spyder likes the hybrid. Thats endorsement enough for me! gotta decide whether I want it in my LP of my Charvel

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I recently installed a c59 in a guitar. It does metal well with a5 or alnico 8. But as you guessed it also does other styles well. What's kool about it though is even though its a Jack of all trades it is not boring or bland. It definatly has its own attitude. I say go for it. Its hard to mess up with it

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
                      I recently installed a c59 in a guitar. It does metal well with a5 or alnico 8. But as you guessed it also does other styles well. What's kool about it though is even though its a Jack of all trades it is not boring or bland. It definatly has its own attitude. I say go for it. Its hard to mess up with it
                      Yup, 59 can be a shocker.. I run 59b models in the neck of several axes. I have a 594 in my explorer. (a4 mag) and used to run a 598 in a kramer..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

i was talking about the hybrid

Comment

if you like the jb but want more warmth and vibe i think the alnico 5 hybrid will suit you fine

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
                            Gotcha! I missed the c in front. haha.
                            Im gonna def try it!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Good descriptions of it by Darth and thrasher9.
                              watch it Doc, they might change their minds about not wanting me to contribute to blogs or articles. lol! we can't have that. haha!

but as much as I was prepared to not like it and think it's a pup for grandpa rock, it really did surprise me.
                              I should clarify this by saying... as much as I was prepared to not like it and 'thought it would be' a pup for grandpa rock....

and... I'd also like to hear more about how the hex pole work out in the '59/C

Comment

Working...
                              X