banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experienced Dimarzio guys on the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experienced Dimarzio guys on the forum?

I finally got my new Tele where I want it, Lil 59 and Vintage stack with 500 K volume.
    Love it.

Now I am trying to finish my strat. 2003 Highway One.

I have the Dimarzio Chopper bridge pickup and love it. I need to finalize the middle and neck pickups.

I play rock, hard rock and grunge and I play in a 90s band. I have a Chopper in the bridge.

What I want is single coil meets humbucker in the bridge, same thing in the neck but more stratty sounding, and I think the Cruiser neck is the one. Good neck clean, bright but smooth and clear solos. Middle is total single coil that blends well for the 2 and 4 spots.

I am thinking of two scenarios below for my strat. What to expect from each:

Chopper bridge
    Cruiser middle.
    Fast track 1 neck

Or

Chopper bridge
    Virtual '54 Pro middle
    Cruiser neck

Thanks.

Re: Any experienced Dimarzio guys on the forum?

Try an HS-4 in the neck and a Cruiser in the middle. The HS-4 will give you a real nice stratty sound in the neck and won't overpower your bridge pickup. Although it's rated lower at 93, it actually has a similar output to the Cruiser.

Comment

Here's my suggestion:
      Chopper neck
      Cruiser middle
      Pro Track bridge

Lots of Strat tones coming from the neck and middle 1,2,3 positions.
      And you have thick humbucker tones from the bridge, and no wierd volume drops in between.

It would work pretty much like a lil 59-duckbucker-jb jr everything set. Except darker.
      AccountKiller

Comment

Fast Track
        Cruiser
        Chopper is not a bad option...if I recall correctly from my start/tele/DMZ days...
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks guys, if Chopper doesn't work out I will try the Peo Track again. I do like that pickup.

A good friend said it is good to have the weakest pickup in the middle.
          So, may go Chopper/54 Pro/Cruiser.

If I want hotter, I will do Chopper/Cruiser/Fast Traffic.

Thanks.

Comment

I'd go with cruiser in the neck. The fast track 1 does not have enough power as humbucker and not enough chime/glass as single coil.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Fast Track
              Cruiser
              Chopper is not a bad option...if I recall correctly from my start/tele/DMZ days...
              Agreed! I would do this combination.
              Washburn Atlantis EC26 (YJM Fury/Screamin' Demon w/Triple Shot) and Washburn Parallaxe PXS100ARFRWHM (PATB-1n/PATB-3)
              Rivera M100 and Rivera Bonehead.

Good deals with: Savage Distortion, IndySG, Masta' C, RayBarbeeMusic, Monsta-Tone, Chickencoop, Traumatized.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.J4ckal View Post
                I'd go with cruiser in the neck. The fast track 1 does not have enough power as humbucker and not enough chime/glass as single coil.

Yep, tat is what I did.

Cruiser
                54 Pro
                Chopper

Comment

I went the Andy Timmons route & put a Cruiser bridge pickup in the neck with Fast Track mid & Chopper (or Pro Track) bridge. The Cruiser bridge retains the Strat clarity in the neck slot, but with a little more fulness.

Comment

Originally posted by 9fingers View Post
                    I went the Andy Timmons route & put a Cruiser bridge pickup in the neck with Fast Track mid & Chopper (or Pro Track) bridge. The Cruiser bridge retains the Strat clarity in the neck slot, but with a little more fulness.

The Cruiser neck and bridge sound identical to me.

I prefer my middle pickup to be weaker. Dimarzio says Fast Track neck ansd Cruiser middle. I am trying the Chopper/'54/Cruiser and evaluate this before I change anything.

Since my main guitars are darker and thicker sounding, I am more a Gibson and PRS guy. With that, I am going to make my 2003 H1, my only strat.
                    It is an amazing strat and I am just going to have to pre-wired pickguards I can swap in when I want. One singles, the other an HSS configuration.

If the humbucker works best in my strat in the bridge over the little Chopper, I might try this....
                    Timmons AT-1 or Air Zone
                    Cruiser
                    Cruiser
                    Last edited by papersoul; 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                      you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
                        and i will add
                        Excellent deals with,
                        Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                        Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                        slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                        guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                        51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                        king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

HAHAHAHA!

Comment

Hey papersoul, (or whomever has some experience with this...)

How did the cruiser, 54pro, chopper combo work out for you?

I'm wrestling with the same issues in a G&L Legacy. Chopper bridge, trying a Fast Track 1 in middle. Not bright enough in position 2 until I put in 500k pot, but now maybe the chopper alone is too shrill...

Do you find a big volume jump from bridge to bridge/middle? I'm considering getting the cruiser, but I'm not sure. Might put the FT1 in the neck.

How would you compare the Little 59'er to the chopper? (warmer/more glass, less output?) Sometimes I find the chopper harsh in the upper mids... but it's a love/hate thing, I like that it cuts...

Comment

Working...
                            X